How to remove DVD drive from Sun Fire V240?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by ohaya, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I have several V240 machines that I need to get working. There are 4
    total, and only 2 of them have DVD drives installed, so I am thinking
    that I can do the Solaris installation on the 1st two, then remove the
    DVD drives from those and move them to the other two machines.

    The first question that I have is how do I remove the drive?

    There are two metal tabs on top, and I was assuming that I could just
    press "down" on them and then pull the drive out simultaneously, but it
    seemed that the drive still wouldn't budge, and I didn't want to force
    things.

    The Sun admin manual says to "unclip the drive", but it's not really
    clear what "unclip" means.

    If anyone here is familiar with the V240, can you tell me what the
    proper way is to remove the DVD drive?

    Also, when I move the DVD drive to the other machine, will it
    automatically find the DVD drive, or do I have to do something like a
    "boot -r"?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ohaya, Feb 7, 2006

  2. ohaya

    Jason Gorrie Guest

    Push down on the clips, then pull away from the 240. Its hard the first
    time.
    I insert at power-off, which is how they say you are to remove it as
    well, but it does hot-remove ok (no guarantee). I then boot and it
    recognizes it with Sol 8, 9, 10.

    HTH.

    Jason Gorrie, Feb 7, 2006

  3. HI,
    Not a answer to your question but maybe a answer to your problem.

    Why don't you setup one Sparc as boot server and do a net boot, much nicer.

    Also experience tells that things that are untouched works better that
    those systems that are fiddled with in mechanical way!

    So just copy the install CD's to a Sparc server of anysize aslong at it
    has ~3GB of diskspace to spare and then you can install all 4 at the
    same time!

    surf to http://www.bigadmin.com and search for "cd-free".

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Feb 7, 2006
  4. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Michael,

    FYI, I had started trying to setup a Solaris install server this
    afternoon (and saw your post after I got home), and got it working. It
    (net boot) is really cool!

    I also was able to pull the DVD drive. As Jason suggested in his post,
    I pushed down on both tabs, and pulled with a little more effort this
    time, and the drive popped right out.

    Jim

    ohaya, Feb 7, 2006
  5. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Not a answer to your question but maybe a answer to your problem.

    Hi,

    For the record, here's a link to the basic procedure that I followed to
    get the network boot/installation working:

    http://www.sunhelpdesk.com/node/26

    The procedure was pretty accurate, except in my case, I have a Solaris 9
    DVD (as opposed to a set of Solaris 9 CDs), so I just needed to do the
    setup_install_server, and did not need the add_to_install_server.

    Also, in my case, I have a 2nd drive on the install server, which I have
    configured as "/disk1", so I put the Solaris image files on
    "/disk1/Solaris9".

    The only other thing that I had to figure out was how to get the
    ethernet/MAC address of the to-be-installed servers. I ended up doing a
    "banner" in OBP at the "ok" prompt, which showed the MAC address and
    used that for each of the V240s.

    As mentioned above, this all worked quite nicely.

    In fact, since the other machines I have on this test network are Sun
    Blade 150s and SF280Rs, they are all in the same Platform Group (sun4u),
    so I can do all of my future installations off of that install server
    from now on!!

    One question though:

    Most of these machines (the V240s and the 280Rs) are headless, so I have
    to tip into them to do the "boot net". Once I get past all of the
    installation questions, etc., and while the installation is still in
    progress, can I unplug the serial cable and move it to another machine?

    I'm wondering if doing that will cause the in-progress installation to
    abort because the serial connection is gone?

    Thanks again,
    Jim

    ohaya, Feb 8, 2006
  6. HI,
    Hmm I don't get what you mean with that, you have the MAC id in the
    openboot header or what do you mean?
    Yes.

    I myself have a problem netbooting since installed S10 but I have not
    had time to debug it for a week or so :)
    Well I have enough selfconfidence to say that I am very unsure of RS232
    every time I need to connect anything ;)

    But if you have diabled CTS/RTS or whatever the signals are named it
    should not be any problem.

    The next thing you could do is to install a jumpstart server making the
    install automatically or do a flash install.

    /michael

    PS the name RS232 is from "connect 2 to 3 or 3 to 2" ;) DS

    Michael Laajanen, Feb 8, 2006
  7. In general, yes.
    Nope. Not unless you've done something non-standard. I move serial
    lines during installs like this a lot.

    Note that if you have auto-reboot on, when you come back it may be at a
    prompt asking you to enter the new root password (depending on your
    finish scripts and other settings, of course). That can be a bit
    confusing due to the lack of response to many keypresses.

    Darren Dunham, Feb 8, 2006
  8. HI,
    Ops I forgot to warn you for one thing.

    Always make sure that you have grounded the machines properly this is
    especially important if you supply them from different phases.

    So having a ground strap connected(between the two machines) before you
    insert the serial signal is a very good step in making sure that
    nothings breaks!

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Feb 8, 2006
  9. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Michael,

    Comments interspersed....

    Jim

    I didn't notice the MAC address when I went into OBP, but I'll check
    again. It may have been because I already had the machine powered up
    before I plugged the serial cable in...

    I forgot to mention, but I'm already doing that :). That's what got
    this whole thing started, i.e., I was booting with the Solaris DVD, so
    that I could do the Flash installation (using FTP, in my case). Now
    that I got the net boot working, I do the net boot, get through the
    configuration dialog, point the installer to the server where I have FTP
    running with my FLAR files, and ... DONE :)!!!

    Thanks again, Michael...

    Jim

    ohaya, Feb 8, 2006
  10. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    All of the machines are racked, except we have a couple of SB150s that
    we use to tip or SSH into the headless servers. I'll have to see about
    grounding those (the SB150s). I'm assuming grounding them to the rack
    would be sufficient?

    Jim

    ohaya, Feb 8, 2006
  11. HI,
    That should be fine.

    Once I reveived a huge rack from customer with a DEC Minicomputer(funny
    word today) and a wire to the console, once I powered it up poff, the I
    discovered that pin 7(gnd) was not connected in the cable but the
    customer had never noticed since they had the console feeded from the
    same power outlet, I did not since I had the console in the other room :)

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Feb 8, 2006