How to repair, disassemble, take apart 701c thinkpad laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by franklinhu, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. franklinhu

    franklinhu Guest

    I just when through the process of repairing my old 701c by replacing
    the keyboard, so if you're in the same boat, here's how to do it. (Of
    course, you take apart your laptop at your own risk!). My spacebar
    decided to die and I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I ordered
    another keyboard on Ebay.

    All of the documentation for the 701c has been removed from the IBM web
    site, but you can still find the service manual at:

    http://penwin.stg.net/files/ibm/360/tpvol2.pdf

    Should this link dissappear in the future, here's how to take apart the
    case in a nutshell.

    Tools: You need a special Torx #6 and #1 driver. I found the Torx #6
    driver at Lowes as the Task Force #1371. If you can't find that, a .050
    hex wrench will also do the trick. The #1 wrench must be ordered from a
    specialty tool shop on the internet. Being cheap, I instead took the
    smallest precision screwdriver I had and I filed off the edges to make
    it small enough to fit into the microscopic hole in the screw on the
    front of the keyboard.

    1. Remove all visible large screws except for the 4 screws holding on
    the hinges.

    2. Open the screen all the way up 180 degrees. If you removed the screw
    on the right side, near the hinge, you can pull up on the plastic piece
    which has the lcd lights and it comes out.

    3. Undo the screw near the right hinge.

    4. Undo the 4 screws on the front of the keyboard lid.

    5. Push back the lid, then up, then out.

    6. The keyboard is connected with special connectors. Pry the tabs on
    either side to pull out piece of plastic that wedges the connectors.

    Good luck on your 701c repair job. They're cool computers and I really
    like mine to play older games with my kids, but since you can get a
    701c for about $40 on Ebay, it doesn't make sense to take it to someone
    else to have it fixed.

    franklinhu, Apr 3, 2005

  2. franklinhu

    Tony Guest

    hi
    need something like that service manual or a disassemble manual for my
    thinkpad ,,,do you know where i could get one that is free (please) it is a
    IBM thinkpad i series 1300 model #1171-5XU
    please your help would be really apprecaited please
    tony

    Tony, Apr 20, 2005

  3. franklinhu

    JHEM Guest