    belong in? Can I just copy and paste it in there from the OS disk that
    came from Dell?
    (I searched in google but couldn't find the solution.)

    bullseye, Feb 13, 2007

  2. bullseye

    Tom Scales Guest

    What do you mean by 'manually uninstalled'?

    Tom Scales, Feb 13, 2007

  3. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    I probably identified the files' location under "search" and highlighted
    and just deleted the folders. (I may even have right clicked on the
    games from Accessories and deleted them, I forget how I did it.) I
    sometimes do that with files and folders that I am unable to uninstall
    or are left over after using Add/Remove. (For example, someone in here
    mentioned how older versions of Java need to be deleted because some
    versions had security problems. I looked in the Java folder under
    Programs, and I found several older versions and I highlighted and
    deleted them one by one.)

    bullseye, Feb 13, 2007
  4. bullseye

    S.Lewis Guest

    You have yourself a potential mess that even Windows restore or file checker
    likely won't fix, imo.

    A repair install of WinXP *might* fix it - if it's worth the trouble to you.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Feb 13, 2007
  5. bullseye

    Colin Wilson Guest

    When I attempt to access Add/Remove Windows Components, I get an error
    Is that *any* application you want to uninstall, or just the game
    entries ?

    You might be able to get around it by using something like Crap Cleaner
    (http://www.ccleaner.com) - go to the "tools" option, the "uninstall"
    (will already be selected when you hit tools), and tell it to remove the
    game entries that way.

    If all else fails, I can send you a copy of mine - de-bork the email
    address shown in the header to drop me a line :-}

    Sod it, it't only 9k, i'll include it here - copy the text between the
    ----'s and save it as games.inf to c:\windows\inf

    You might need to do a "sanity check" in case any lines have wrapped (or
    email me for it as an attachment)

    -----
    ; This is the Setup information file to install optional components
    ; Copyright (c) 1996 Microsoft Corporation

    [version]
    signature="$Windows NT$"
    ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    LayoutFile=layout.inf

    [DestinationDirs]
    FreecellCopyFilesSys = 11 ;LDID_SYSTEM
    FreecellCopyFilesHelp = 18 ;LDID_HELP
    HeartsCopyFilesSys = 11 ;LDID_SYSTEM
    HeartsCopyFilesHelp = 18 ;LDID_HELP
    MinesweeperCopyFilesSys = 11 ;LDID_SYSTEM
    MinesweeperCopyFilesHelp = 18 ;LDID_HELP
    SolitaireCopyFilesSys = 11 ;LDID_SYSTEM
    SolitaireCopyFilesHelp = 18 ;LDID_HELP
    SpiderCopyFilesSys = 11 ;LDID_SYSTEM
    SpiderCopyFilesHelp = 18 ;LDID_HELP

    [Optional Components]
    Games ;Top level option
    Freecell
    Hearts
    Minesweeper
    Solitaire
    Spider

    [Games]
    OptionDesc = %Games_DESC%
    Tip = %Games_TIP%
    IconIndex = 34 ;Windows mini-icon for dialogs
    Parent = AccessUtil
    ProfileItems = OldGamesGroupDelete,NewGamesGroupCreate

    [NewGamesGroupCreate]
    Name = %Games_DESC%,0x00000004
    DisplayResource="%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll",21773

    [Freecell]
    OptionDesc = %Freecell_DESC%
    Tip = %Freecell_TIP%
    IconIndex = 62 ;Windows mini-icon for dialogs
    Parent = Games
    CopyFiles = FreecellCopyFilesSys, FreecellCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems =
    FreecellUninstallItems,FreecellInstallItems,NewGamesGroupCreate
    Uninstall = FreecellUninstall
    Modes = 0,1,2,3
    SizeApproximation =90112

    [OldGamesGroupDelete]
    Name = %Games_DESC%, 0x00000006

    [FreecellUninstall]
    DelFiles = FreecellCopyFilesSys, FreecellCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = FreecellUninstallItems,
    FreecellUninstallItemsCommon

    [FreecellInstallItems]
    Name = %Freecell_DESC%
    CmdLine = 11,,freecell.exe
    WorkingDir = 11
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%
    InfoTip = "@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22542"
    DisplayResource="%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll",22030

    [FreecellUninstallItems]
    Name = %Freecell_DESC%,0x00000003
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [FreecellUninstallItemsCommon]
    Name = %Freecell_DESC%,0x00000002
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [Hearts]
    OptionDesc = %Hearts_DESC%
    Tip = %Hearts_TIP%
    IconIndex = 34 ;Windows mini-icon for dialogs
    Parent = Games
    CopyFiles = HeartsCopyFilesSys, HeartsCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = HeartsUninstallItems,
    HeartsInstallItems,NewGamesGroupCreate
    Uninstall = HeartsUninstall
    Modes = 0,1,2,3
    SizeApproximation =143360

    [HeartsUninstall]
    DelFiles = HeartsCopyFilesSys, HeartsCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = HeartsUninstallItems,
    HeartsUninstallItemsCommon

    [HeartsInstallItems]
    Name = %Hearts_DESC%
    CmdLine = 11,,mshearts.exe
    WorkingDir = 11
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%
    InfoTip = "@%SystemRoot%\system32\mshearts.exe,-414"
    DisplayResource="%SystemRoot%\system32\mshearts.exe",413

    [HeartsUninstallItems]
    Name = %Hearts_DESC%,0x00000003
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [HeartsUninstallItemsCommon]
    Name = %Hearts_DESC%,0x00000002
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [Minesweeper]
    OptionDesc = %Minesweeper_DESC%
    Tip = %Minesweeper_TIP%
    IconIndex = 63 ;Windows mini-icon for dialogs
    Parent = Games
    CopyFiles = MinesweeperCopyFilesSys,
    MinesweeperCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = MinesweeperUninstallItems,
    MinesweeperInstallItems, NewGamesGroupCreate
    Uninstall = MinesweeperUninstall
    Modes = 0,1,2,3
    SizeApproximation =151552

    [MinesweeperUninstall]
    DelFiles = MinesweeperCopyFilesSys,
    MinesweeperCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = MinesweeperUninstallItems,
    MinesweeperUninstallItemsCommon

    [MinesweeperInstallItems]
    Name = %Minesweeper_DESC%
    CmdLine = 11,,winmine.exe
    WorkingDir = 11
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%
    InfoTip = "@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22557"
    DisplayResource="%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll",22045

    [MinesweeperUninstallItems]
    Name = %Minesweeper_DESC%,0x00000003
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [MinesweeperUninstallItemsCommon]
    Name = %Minesweeper_DESC%,0x00000002
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [Solitaire]
    OptionDesc = %Solitaire_DESC%
    Tip = %Solitaire_TIP%
    IconIndex = 34 ;Windows mini-icon for dialogs
    Parent = Games
    CopyFiles = SolitaireCopyFilesSys, SolitaireCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = SolitaireUninstallItems,
    SolitaireInstallItems, NewGamesGroupCreate
    Uninstall = SolitaireUninstall
    Modes = 0,1,2,3
    SizeApproximation =94208

    [SolitaireUninstall]
    DelFiles = SolitaireCopyFilesSys, SolitaireCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = SolitaireUninstallItems,
    SolitaireUninstallItemsCommon

    [SolitaireInstallItems]
    Name = %Solitaire_DESC%
    CmdLine = 11,,sol.exe
    WorkingDir = 11
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%
    InfoTip = "@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22572"
    DisplayResource="%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll",22060

    [SolitaireUninstallItems]
    Name = %Solitaire_DESC%,0x00000003
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [SolitaireUninstallItemsCommon]
    Name = %Solitaire_DESC%,0x00000002
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [Spider]
    OptionDesc = %Spider_DESC%
    Tip = %Spider_TIP%
    IconIndex = 34 ;Windows mini-icon for dialogs
    Parent = Games
    CopyFiles = SpiderCopyFilesSys, SpiderCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = SpiderUninstallItems, SpiderInstallItems,
    NewGamesGroupCreate
    Uninstall = SpiderUninstall
    Modes = 0,1,2,3
    SizeApproximation =552960

    [SpiderUninstall]
    DelFiles = SpiderCopyFilesSys, SpiderCopyFilesHelp
    ProfileItems = SpiderUninstallItems,
    SpiderUninstallItemsCommon

    [SpiderInstallItems]
    Name = %Spider_DESC%
    CmdLine = 11,,spider.exe
    WorkingDir = 11
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%
    InfoTip = "@%SystemRoot%\system32\spider.exe,-57"
    DisplayResource="%SystemRoot%\system32\spider.exe",56

    [SpiderUninstallItems]
    Name = %Spider_DESC%,0x00000003
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [SpiderUninstallItemsCommon]
    Name = %Spider_DESC%,0x00000002
    Subdir = %Games_GROUP%

    [FreecellCopyFilesSys]
    freecell.exe

    [FreecellCopyFilesSys.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)"

    [FreecellCopyFilesHelp]
    freecell.chm
    freecell.hlp

    [FreecellCopyFilesHelp.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)"

    [HeartsCopyFilesSys]
    mshearts.exe

    [HeartsCopyFilesSys.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)"

    [HeartsCopyFilesHelp]
    mshearts.chm

    [HeartsCopyFilesHelp.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)"

    [MinesweeperCopyFilesSys]
    winmine.exe

    [MinesweeperCopyFilesSys.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)"

    [MinesweeperCopyFilesHelp]
    winmine.chm
    winmine.hlp

    [MinesweeperCopyFilesHelp.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)"

    [SolitaireCopyFilesSys]
    sol.exe

    [SolitaireCopyFilesSys.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)"

    [SolitaireCopyFilesHelp]
    sol.chm
    sol.hlp

    [SolitaireCopyFilesHelp.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)"

    [SpiderCopyFilesSys]
    spider.exe

    [SpiderCopyFilesSys.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)(A;;GRGX;;;WD)"

    [SpiderCopyFilesHelp]
    spider.chm

    [SpiderCopyFilesHelp.Security]
    "D:p(A;;GRGX;;;BU)(A;;GA;;;BA)(A;;GA;;;SY)"

    [Strings]

    KEY_OPTIONAL = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    \OptionalComponents"

    Games_DESC = "Games"
    Games_TIP = "Includes Freecell, Hearts, Minesweeper, Pinball,
    Solitaire, and Spider Solitaire games."
    Games_GROUP = "Games"

    Freecell_DESC = "Freecell"
    Freecell_TIP = "Logic puzzle in the form of a card game"

    Hearts_DESC = "Hearts"
    Hearts_TIP = "Card game"

    Minesweeper_DESC = "Minesweeper"
    Minesweeper_TIP = "Strategy game"

    Solitaire_DESC = "Solitaire"
    Solitaire_TIP = "Card game"

    Spider_DESC = "Spider Solitaire"
    Spider_TIP = "Card game"

    -----

    Colin Wilson, Feb 13, 2007
  6. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    Thank you for your replies. I currently am cleaning up and exploring
    the system and checking for any weaknesses and as a preventive
    maintenance measure as well. That's why I puzzled when the Add/Remove
    Windows Components feature failed to work. I will e-mail you as well if
    I have additional questions. Thank you for the offer.

    ( I use Windows 2000 professional.)

    bullseye, Feb 14, 2007
  7. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    I just sent you an e-mail with your name to (Phoenixbbs?); I hope you
    get it, if not, feel free to e-mail me.

    regards

    bullseye, Feb 15, 2007
  8. bullseye

    Colin Wilson Guest

    I just sent you an e-mail with your name to (Phoenixbbs?); I hope you
    Hopefully you got my reply (from a dsl.pipex.com address)

    Colin Wilson, Feb 15, 2007
  9. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    Yes I did and the Add/Remove Windows Components works. Thank you.

    bullseye, Feb 19, 2007
  10. bullseye

    S.Lewis Guest

    Nice save, Colin.