    With W98, I can run Scandisk.

    How do I do this with XP??

    MB

    MB, Aug 13, 2004

  2. MB

    Louie Guest

    MB,

    XP doesn't have ScanDisk per se. But it does have a way to scan your
    disk(s). Open My Computer and right click on the drive you want to check,
    choose properties, then click on the Tools tab. At the top you will see
    Error Checking, then Defragmentation, and finally Backup. Under Error
    Checking, press Check Now, choose your options. Be aware that if you check
    both boxes, it will take quite a while before it finishes.

    HTH

    Louie
    Gainesville, FL, USA

    Louie, Aug 13, 2004

  3. Scandisk is gone, replaced by Error Checking (aka chkdsk.) To learn about
    it, open the Help and Support Center and search for 'disk errors'.

    Ted Zieglar aka \Rocky\, Aug 18, 2004
  4. MB

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Open a command prompt
    Run "chkdsk c: /f" (no quotes)
    You will be told it can't be done now and you'll be asked if you want it run
    at the next prompt. If you say Yes, CHKDSK will be run on the next boot
    before Windows loads.

    Recommendation? Create a Restore Point and have a backup of your data.
    CHKDSK *can* break things when it tries to "fix" things. Chances are small,
    but real....

    Hank Arnold, Aug 19, 2004