    overwriting the wrong file.

    TIA,

    Richard

    Richard Burke, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Many applications can do *file* synchronization by selective overwriting
    of files based on their modification date. But it sounds like what you
    want to do is to synchronize the *data* contained *in* the files, so
    that modifications made to File X on Machine A will be added to File X
    on Machine B without losing data that still exists only in the file on
    B.

    No third-party utility can do this, as it can't know how to read and
    merge every file created by every application. The creator application
    must do this through an import or update or synchronize function.
    Otherwise, you'll need to synchronize files whenever you switch from
    working on one machine to the other. Some utilities provide for
    automatic scheduling of backup or synchronization, but require that both
    machines be running and connected to the same local network at the
    scheduled time.

    A more elegant approach is to use a server that both machines can access
    periodically and an intelligent synchronization method that merges data
    in the client and server files. This is exactly what Apple's iSync does,
    but it only works with Apple's applications (Address Book, iCal, and
    Safari) and it requires a .Mac subscription.

    Neill Massello, Apr 6, 2004