    The old hard disk: IBM travelstar 20GB
    External USB enclosure: suppose USB 2.0, bought on ebay

    Thank you.

    freetrader, Jun 18, 2005

  2. freetrader

    BR549 Guest

    While you were looking at it in Disk Management did it have a drive letter
    assigned?

    I couldn't see data on my old laptop hard disk when I used an external
    USB enclosure. I used windows XP and it could find the hard disk. But
    it just showed unallocated space on the hard disk by Disk Management.
    Could someone point out what problem it is and what I can do now?

    My old laptop doesn't work because of hardware problem.

    BR549, Jun 18, 2005

  3. freetrader

    freetrader Guest

    thank you.
    It's not a drive letter. It did not even allow me to assign one. It
    showed me the probable size of hard disk and marked as "unallocated
    space".

    freetrader, Jun 18, 2005
  4. freetrader

    Jerry Park Guest

    Does your USB hard disk enclosure have an external power supply? It may
    be that there is not enouth power from the USB port to run the disk.

    Some of them have a PS2 port power option as well as an external plug in
    supply.

    Jerry Park, Jun 18, 2005
  5. freetrader

    freetrader Guest

    No, it is usb powered. I am going to try to put double usb cables on to
    get more power as manual suggested.

    If it works, would I see a drive letter so that I can access to my
    data?

    Do I need to try another enclosure? Which one would you like to suggest?

    freetrader, Jun 18, 2005
  6. freetrader

    Andrew Guest

    : No, it is usb powered. I am going to try to put double usb cables on to
    : get more power as manual suggested.

    : If it works, would I see a drive letter so that I can access to my
    : data?

    : Do I need to try another enclosure? Which one would you like to suggest?

    Using one that is not self-powered is a good idea. But I doubt this
    will solve your problem. If the drive is showing up to Windows now,
    it is probably getting power.

    What format is the old hard drive? FAT32 or NTFS? (What OS was it?)

    There's also the possiblity that your old hard drive just got
    corrupted. What happened to the old laptop?

    How did you try to assign a drive letter? Are you in disk management?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jun 18, 2005
  7. freetrader

    freetrader Guest

    OS is Windows ME on my old hard drive. Forget which format it was.

    OS on the laptop I am using is Windows XP.

    Hope it's not hardware problem on my old hard dirve. What happened to
    the old one was that the screen was getting blank so I swithed off.
    Nothing was coming up after I switched back on. Keyboard, screen were
    just dead. The only noise was from the electric fan.

    I unsuccessfully tried to assign to a drive letter in disk management
    by right clicking.

    freetrader, Jun 18, 2005
  8. freetrader

    Andrew Guest

    : OS is Windows ME on my old hard drive. Forget which format it was.

    If it is from Windows ME then it is a FAT32 drive, just for your
    information.

    I would download the Ultimate Boot CD and try some of the utilities
    there:

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    If you can burn a CD, grab the .iso file of the UBCD and burn a copy,
    then boot that CD.

    There is an IBM drive fitness test there plus some other utilities.
    See first of all if the IBM software can see the drive and any format.
    You can also get the IBM software directly from:

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

    but you might find the other utilities on UBCD helpful.

    An advanced option might be to try to boot a Linux version from CD
    (e.g. Ubuntu live boot), then try to mount the USB hard drive in
    linux. The latest Linux versions should have USB hard drive support.
    This is probably not the fastest way, but you could get a Ubuntu Live
    CD (boot only, does not install on your hard drive) from
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org, burn the .iso file, boot it, then try to
    mount the drive with something like:

    (open a terminal window)
    mkdir /mnt/usbdrive
    mount -t msdos /dev/sd0 /mnt/usbdrive

    This may be beyond you, and there are easier ways to do it I'm sure,
    but it would take Windows out of the equation.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jun 18, 2005
  9. freetrader

    mike Guest

    If your old data is valuable, I'd suggest you NOT go messing around with
    a USB enclosure. Beg or borrow an adapter that can connect your laptop
    drive directly to a desktop IDE bus as the secondary drive.
    Get the data off then go back to
    messing with USB. I've been having fits trying to get drivers to work
    on a usb to IDE adapter working.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, Jun 19, 2005
  10. freetrader

    freetrader Guest

    Thank you Andrew, mike and the rest of all for your concerning and
    suggest.
    I'm going to try mike's suggest first to get an adapter for a desktop
    IDE because I am afraid of data.

    To boot from a CD is a good idea so that I can check my old PC, I will
    do it as well. Linux one is really beyond me. I may try the drive
    fittness test as Andrew suggested. But it would be in late stage.

    Mike, any suggestion where I can get the adapter.

    freetrader, Jun 19, 2005
  11. freetrader

    mike Guest

    You can find 'em on EBAY. Frys probably has 'em. I don't remember
    where I got mine...probably a garage sale. Search for adapter to put
    2.5" hard drive into a
    desktop. Try various combinations of keywords. It's just a 44 pin
    socket to the laptop drive and a 4-pin power plug and 40-pin ide plug.
    If you just want the data files, you can copy them. If you want the
    whole thing, better image the drive too.
    mike
    ..

    mike, Jun 19, 2005
  12. freetrader

    Andrew Guest

    : You can find 'em on EBAY. Frys probably has 'em.

    I got one of those adaptors at Fry's myself, but it's not going to
    help him in Britain. The adaptor might indeed get around the problem,
    but I think it can still be solved with USB.

    For what it's worth, I've been playing with USB enclosures for a while
    and never had any problem with them. They are extremely handy and
    have helped me on numerous occasions. Windows 98 and ME are a pain
    because you need the driver disk for the enclosure, but the drivers
    are built into Windows XP (at least with the two enclosure models I've
    used). I've also plugged at least a half dozen types of drives into
    these enclosures, ranging from eight-year-old drives to brand new
    ones, and amazingly, they all come up.

    It's probably a matter of figuring out how to assign a drive letter to
    the drive in Windows. To the original poster: try using "diskpart"
    in a command window. In Windows, do a help on "assign drive letter"
    and read about it there. See if any info about your drive shows up
    when you do "diskpart" and you have your USB enclosure plugged in.

    You might also try plugging the drive into a different USB port.

    By the way, this is not an uncommon problem, apparently, after a
    little searching. I found this thread:

    http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=57128&goto=nextoldest

    Go to the very bottom and try the last guy's suggestion. That's what
    I would try next. It's not as radical as it might sound.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Jun 19, 2005
  13. freetrader

    Chris Hill Guest

    Sure sounds like something got wiped off of the drive. You may be
    able to find utilities that can rebuild the partition table which may
    gain you access. I don't think the problem is either with xp not
    being able to see the drive or with the usb case.

    Chris Hill, Jun 19, 2005
  14. freetrader

    freetrader Guest

    It's what I'm afraid Chris-hill. Anyway I would like to try my hard
    drive on desktop PC.

    I have found one (IDE adapter for laptop drive) on ebay and other
    shopping web sites. It will take 1 or 2 working days to delivery.

    Sorry mike, it doesn't mean I don't trust you. Because I am new to USB
    enclosure and have to try different ways.

    freetrader, Jun 19, 2005
  15. freetrader

    mike Guest

    OK, you caught me.
    I'm using 98SE. And I'm not trying REAL usb enclosures. They're
    USB to IDE adapters stolen off an Imation IDE Superdisk using the
    datastor drivers.
    USB driver seems to be happy. SCSI driver hooked to it seems to be
    happy. Just no visibility of the disk drive. Not at all clear why
    SCSI is involved in the IDE translation...
    mike

    ..

    mike, Jun 19, 2005
  16. freetrader

    yoosnet Guest

    You can get them in Maplins - about 8 quid.

    yoosnet, Jun 19, 2005
  17. freetrader

    freetrader Guest

    Thanks all of you. I have got my data with IDE adapter for laptop
    drive.

    I bought it on ebay at £3.75. Because it was connected to the second
    IDE interface, I set my laptop drive as a slave drive and connected it
    to a desktop. After swithing on, it showed me the laptop dirve with a
    logical letter. (So excited at that time)

    Copied and burned it on a CD. It's all, just saved me £80 from a local
    computer shop, you know what robberng is now.

    Thank you very much again.

    freetrader, Jun 25, 2005