How to Send E-Mails from my local Caribou Coffee House using MS Outlook?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by john.golden, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. john.golden

    john.golden Guest

    Hello,

    I just got a new Toshibal laptop with Wi-Fi and all the other latest
    stuff.

    I am trying to send e-mails from my laptop at my local Caribou Coffee
    House using MS Outlook. I have an ATT Yahoo DSL account at home. I
    entered their Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers and said to use the
    Local Area Network in Outlook, but I cannot seem to successfully send a
    test e-mail.

    I would appreciate any ideas about what I might be doing wrong.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    Regards,
    John E. Golden

    john.golden, Dec 4, 2006

  2. john.golden

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    Can you describe more of what happens after you try to send an e-mail? Any
    error messages?

    In many cases outgoing mail servers require you to either (1) check your
    e-mail before sending any or (2) specifically logon, generally using the same
    credentials as you'd use for checking your e-mail. This is to prevent
    spammers from using your ISP's mail server to "relay" spam: Since you're no
    longer directly connected to an AT&Tdial-up connection, the outgoing mail
    server has no way to know you're a legitimate subscriber.

    Joel Kolstad, Dec 4, 2006

  3. john.golden

    GlennB Guest

    Hey John,
    I have the same problem using Mozilla Thunderbird accessing
    Bellsouth.net. To send mail I had to go through the Bellsouth home page
    using my browser. It sounds like you have a Yahoo mail account. Try
    going to Yahoo, using Internet Explorer, to see if you can send mail.
    Glenn

    GlennB, Dec 4, 2006
  4. It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's that you're trying to do
    something you can't. AT&T is like most ISPs these days in that they
    don't allow remote access to their outgoing mail servers, the better to
    prevent spammers from using them as open relays. You'll have to either
    send mail via their web interface or wait until you're hooked up to your
    home connection, which is probably best from a security and privacy
    standpoint since I'd lay odds that their webmail interface isn't SSL
    protected past the login screen, if at all. I've never used theirs
    myself so I can't say for sure, but I've never seen one that was. You
    *do* know that anyone within range of an open network you're on can read
    your mail or anything else you're receiving or sending "in the clear" by
    using a wireless laptop running packet-sniffing software, don't you?

    Even if you were using an ISP that did allow off-network outgoing server
    access, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the Wi-Fi hotspot operator
    would have the standard outgoing mail port blocked to help prevent
    *their* network from becoming a spam conduit, so you couldn't use it
    anyway without some fancy footwork to configure your client to use
    another one.

    Jonathan L. Parker, Dec 4, 2006
  5. john.golden

    Tom J Guest

    All you said that I snipped still applies, but when I'm not on my home
    hookup I use Yahoo email to send mail and have never had a hotspot
    refuse to send it.

    Tom J

    Tom J, Dec 4, 2006
  6. Thanks very much for all your input, but, in the meantime, I got it to
    work. The problem was that my 'user name' that I entered into Outlook
    was not complete. I thought they just wanted everthing before the '@'.
    Turns out they wanted the whole dang e-mail address.

    Now I'm sending and receiving e-mails from the CAribou Coffee House like
    an SOB. And the New York Times was right on about six weeks ago when
    they said that computers have now far surpassed television asd a way to
    waste time.

    Regards,

    John E. Golden

    John E. Golden, Dec 5, 2006
  7. Yahoo E-Mail is web based E-Mail, and that's what you have to use when
    you are on the road. The E-Mail that you normally use (from your own
    ISP) is usually (not always, but usually) "POP3" E-Mail, and you usually
    can't use that when you are on the road.

    The problem with using Yahoo (or Hotmail or most other Web-based E-Mail
    systems) is that you are using two accounts, so your recipients end up
    getting mail from you with two different return addresses, and your
    incomming E-Mail also ends up with some messages in one account, and
    other messages in another account.

    You can avoid some of these problems by using the Web-based mail service
    of your own ISP ... almost all ISPs have a web-based E-Mail portal for
    just this reason.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 5, 2006
  8. It's surprising that this worked, if you are using POP3 E-Mail (which is
    almost a certainty if you are using Outlook as the E-Mail client). Most
    ISPs won't allow E-Mail to be sent by a user who is connecting from
    "outside" their system, which you normally would be when using a WiFi
    "hotspot".

    Barry Watzman, Dec 5, 2006
  9. john.golden

    zwsdotcom Guest

    gmail, .mac, etc all allow you to select what return address appears in
    your messages.

    zwsdotcom, Dec 5, 2006
  10. john.golden

    john.golden Guest

    I am using POP3 E-Mail and it does indeed work from my local Caribou
    Coffee House.

    Regards,
    John E. Golden

    john.golden, Dec 5, 2006
  11. john.golden

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    Barry,

    You probably know this, but for those that don't...

    Yahoo! and some of the other web-based e-mail providers will, for a fee, often
    provide you with POP3 access as well as the ability to change the "from" line
    to whatever you want (so that, to the outside world, you do only appear to
    have one account). It also removes the advertising that comes embedeed with
    e-mail sent from the free version, of course.

    Joel Kolstad, Dec 6, 2006
  12. john.golden

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    My experience has been that typically you just need to authenticate yourself
    with them first, as I described in my response to John. I'd say it changes
    the balance from "reasonable self-protection" over to "just damned annoying to
    customers" to *not* allow an *autheticated* user to send e-mail through the
    ISP's server.

    Joel Kolstad, Dec 6, 2006
  13. john.golden

    BillW50 Guest

    Huh? I almost always used pop and mapi email from other ISPs. I never
    had a single problem doing this ever.

    BillW50, Dec 6, 2006
  14. john.golden

    BillW50 Guest

    I always use another ISP to pickup my email from another ISP. I've been
    doing this for over 10 years. And I haven't ran into any of this. Even
    with my SBC/AT&T email with either Outlook or Outlook Express.

    BillW50, Dec 7, 2006
  15. "Picking up" your mail isn't the issue; it's being able to *send*
    outgoing mail. Unless there's been a change of policy I haven't heard
    about, AT&T still doesn't let you do this off-network except through the
    web interface.

    Jonathan L. Parker, Dec 7, 2006
  16. john.golden

    BillW50 Guest

    The only trick to sending with some ISPs is to change from port 25 to
    587. That is the only hang up I know from the changes in the last past
    couple of years. And I used SBC, which was different than AT&T, until
    recently anyway.

    BillW50, Dec 7, 2006