    Can anyone advise what I should do next? I don't have any other gear
    (cables, enclosures). My experience lies with Linux Slackware and
    OpenBSD.

    Peter Matulis, Jan 13, 2004

  2. You need an enclosure and a cable, if you can find an enclosure with the
    same connector (optics probably) than your HBA. Unfortunately most
    enclosures come with a copper interface, so you need a hub or a switch
    with the proper MLAs... The QLA2x00 run fine under Linux.

    Emmanuel Florac, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Do you think the Sun firmware is of any consequence?

    Peter Matulis, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Peter Matulis

    Steven Hill Guest

    Do you think the Sun firmware is of any consequence?

    Depending on what you run the disks in - yes.

    EMC arrays are notorious for having firmware that doesn't play well with
    others. Sun disks should be OK. If they are going in a JBOD, it hopefully
    won't make a difference.

    Steven Hill, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Peter Matulis

    Lyle Merdan Guest

    : > Do you think the Sun firmware is of any consequence?

    : Depending on what you run the disks in - yes.

    : EMC arrays are notorious for having firmware that doesn't play well with
    : others. Sun disks should be OK. If they are going in a JBOD, it hopefully
    : won't make a difference.

    : --
    : Steven Hill

    I work with FC every day and I have never heard of someone pulling
    an EMC drive and putting it in a JBOD. I don't know where people
    get these presumptions from.

    The ONLY time I've seen disks with different fimware act differently
    is when the firmware is setup for streaming data vs. random "normal"
    access.

    Lyle

    Lyle Merdan, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Peter Matulis

    Steven Hill Guest

    I work with FC every day and I have never heard of someone pulling
    Cheap drives on ebay is where I get my presumptions from...

    Random firmware ahoy!

    S.

    Steven Hill, Jan 14, 2004
  7. So am I ok or not? I am trying to set up JBOD using a Qlogic 2100 (or
    2200) card.

    Peter Matulis, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Peter Matulis

    Steven Hill Guest

    Cheap drives on ebay is where I get my presumptions from...
    Yes, you are ok.

    If something weird happens regarding the firmware, it is possible to flash
    the drives with more useful firmware...

    Carry on, and let us know how you get on.

    --
    Steven Hill

    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed,
    the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning.
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."
    - Piter De Vries, Dune.

    Steven Hill, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Thank you. Will do.

    Peter Matulis, Jan 14, 2004
  10. And don't forget the firmware on your qla2x00 card. Chances are that
    the FW is old. There is also a SPARC-Solaris specific BIOS that you
    can flash on the card, which is optional, but you probably want it.

    David A.Lethe, Jan 17, 2004
  11. Even if I am not running Solaris? The FW on the card and the drives
    should be upgraded for them to communicate better irrespective of the
    OS? I went to a Sun page referring to my drives where it spoke of
    Sparc architecture being relevant so I figured I didn't need it.

    Peter Matulis, Jan 18, 2004