  1. Alain Birtz

    Alain Birtz Guest

    How to set upper limit size of Drop Box (public folder) in Panther ?

    Alain Birtz, Dec 27, 2003

  2. This isn't trivial and requires sysadmin skills to setup.

    Under unix, setting size limits for files is a function of filequotas in
    the filesystem. see the man pages for edquota.

    I don't think the Macintosh HFS+ filesystem implements quotas, so you'll
    have to repartition your hard drive to allocate a special partition
    that's UFS and implement quotas on it. Make that the /pub filesystem
    and only allow the anonymous FTP user to create files on it.

    Alternately, you can manipulate disable the anonymous ftp user to remove
    ftp put access if the amount of files exceeds a limit. Setup ftp to
    allow only a chroot'd user and check those directories using du
    periodically through cron. Swap or modify the ftpd.conf file with one
    that disables PUT.

    Michael Vilain, Dec 28, 2003