How to setup the 8KNXP BIOS to boot from the primary IDE controller with one IDE hard drive

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Nick Palmer, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Nick Palmer

    Nick Palmer Guest

    (Also posted on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte)

    Hi all,

    Here are the relevant components :

    8KNXP FB motherboard
    1 GB memory (2x512)
    80 GB IDE HD (WDC)
    DVD drive

    Here is my problem. Basically all I want to do is use the normal IDE
    controller. I don't want to use any of the RAID controllers on this
    motherboard. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to make the system boot
    from the HD. I'm able to boot from the CD intially to install Windows XP,
    but after the initial XP config and setup, it reboots, and the system does
    not boot from the HD. So at least it seems that XP finds the HD, but I
    can't make it the boot device. I've tried playing around with BIOS,
    disabling this RAID and that RAID, but the manual isn't to helpful in
    regards to what all the settings do, so I figured I would ask the experts
    here.

    So, what do I have to enable/disable in the BIOS to get my system to boot
    from the HD on the primary IDE controller ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Nick

    Nick Palmer, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Nick Palmer

    Bob Davis Guest

    Do you have the HD in your boot order in the bios?

    Bob Davis, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Nick Palmer

    Nick Palmer Guest

    Finally figured it out. I changed the jumper on the drive from Master to
    CS - Cable Select and that made it work. I have no idea why the system
    didn't like the drive with the Master jumper, but who knows. Never seen a
    system do that before, but there is always a first for everything.

    Nick Palmer, Dec 19, 2003
  4. What a wierd, wierd thing! I just spent a day banging my head against
    the wall with the exact same problem. I rebooted my computer at least
    30 times, with no results or clue. In a final act of desperation
    before giving up, I did another search, and there is your post, from
    one hour earlier! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for following up.
    :)

    I put the jumper to CS, and things work like a charm.

    Now, I can boot from /dev/hda (IDE) hd, and use my 250 Gb (SATA) hd
    with
    hdparm -c1 -d1 -X66 /dev/hde
    without crashing my Linux system.
    This was necessary for the HD to operate in DMA mode. Otherwise, it
    was very slow, and setting the hdparm crashed the system.
    In order to keep the settings (after you verify they work), use -k1
    option to hdparm command.

    For future Googlers:
    ====================

    GA-8KNXP motherboard
    IDE 20Gb hard drive, primary IDE channel, CS master
    2 SATA 250Gb hard drives, on primary and secondary SATA channels
    2.4.6-20 kernel (Red Hat 9.0 Pro distribution)

    BIOS setup:

    ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES
    ----------------------
    SCSI/RAID Cntrl Boot Order Intel ATA, Silicon Image
    First Boot Device Floppy
    Second Boot Device CDROM
    Third Boot Device HDD-0 (SCSI to boot from SATA)

    INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS
    ----------------------
    On-chip Primary PCI IDE Enabled (holds HD as CS master)
    On-chip Secondary PCI IDE Enabled (holds DVD-ROM(m) and DVD+-RW(s))
    On-chip SATA Manual
    SATA Port0 configure as SATA Port0
    SATA RAID Function disabled
    Onboard H/W SATA Enabled
    Serial ATA Function BASE
    Onboard H/W GIGARAID Disabled (ATA)
    Onboard H/W 1394 Disabled

    From other posts, I gathered that On-chip SATA refers to Intel ATA,
    and Onboard H/W SATA refers to Silicon Image controller.

    Milica Medved, Dec 20, 2003