How to share a DVD video (not a rip) on a LAN?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveC, Apr 3, 2012.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    I want to stream a DVD video out to my LAN and watch it on a new 2011
    mini (OS X 10.6).

    I do not want to rip it, I just want to share the video DVD.

    (Note that OS X does not support disc sharing on MacBook Air and mini.) ::

    <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2057>

    I followed the steps in VLC (v1.1.12) to set up streaming on a Core Duo mini
    (OS X 10.6) but I'm getting "Permission denied" errors in the VLC log. (VLC
    doesn't pay attention to copyright or region issues so it's not that...)

    Has anyone on the list succeeded in getting VLC to stream a DVD? Or a
    different solution (without ripping or buying extra hardware or such...)

    Thanks,
    Dave
    --
    2006 Mac mini 1.83 GHz Core Duo / 2 GB / 250 GB
    OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

    DaveC, Apr 3, 2012

  2. VLC can't decrypt a commercial disc. The MPAA views decryption as an
    illegal activity, even when it's for legal uses, so it's rare for
    anything with a revenue stream to have decryption. You'll need a
    separate utility.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 4, 2012

  3. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    VLC can't decrypt a commercial disc. The MPAA views decryption as an
    It turned out to be much simpler than I thought:

    Insert the DVD in the old mini. Quit any DVD player that wants to start.

    (Make sure you've got the user name & password for the old mini.)

    Open VLC on the new mini.
    Choose File > "Open Disc...".
    Choose the Disc tab, click on "VIDEO_TS Folder" button, click the "browse"
    button, and navigate to the old mini.
    Click "Connect as..." and enter user name & password for the old mini.
    Open the DVD disc and choose the "VIDEO_TS" folder.
    Click the Open button.

    It plays! As if it were in a local DVD drive.

    It's a little bandwidth sensitive, but not terribly. I can't download large
    files without VLC "hiccuping" or closing the window, but otherwise it's like
    I have a DVD drive in the new mini...

    Thanks for "listening"...

    Dave

    DaveC, Apr 4, 2012