    The other big problem is with the vcr files. They're huge, and there's no
    reason to keep extra copies.

    Thanks for your advice.

    wdsnews, Aug 31, 2003

  2. wdsnews

    Tim Guest

    You fail to mention what operating system you are using....

    Since you mention the "default" user, as in no user logged in, I assum it's not
    Windows NT/2000/XP/2003....

    If I am not mistaken, whenever a new user is created by just typing in a
    username and password, and storing the password on the system, the default
    registry settings are taken FROM the default user. So, try and setup the
    Default user's settings first, then try logging in with a new user name.

    Tim, Aug 31, 2003

  3. wdsnews

    Vance McNeil Guest

    Sounds like it might be XP.

    It seems more applications are sensitive to XP's multiple user scheme
    allowing every app to be customised per each user's preferences (this is
    likely the first step to requiring licenses for each user :)

    Try setting the schedule from Admin's login.

    Vance McNeil, Aug 31, 2003
  4. wdsnews

    Tim Guest

    Someone correct me if I am mistaken....

    I am using Windows XP Professional. I am unaware if XP Home is different in this
    matter:

    You cannot bypass the login process. There is no "Cancel" button like there is
    on Windows 95/98/Me to skip logging onto the system. This is the reason XP is
    more secure.

    So, we must assume he's not using XP..... but Windows 98/Me (surly not 95)

    Tim, Aug 31, 2003
  5. wdsnews

    Vance McNeil Guest

    Why must we assume he's not talking about XP?
    I recall that when I tried to use MMC from another user's account, I had to
    set up the TV all over again.

    Different profiles, different settings...

    Vance McNeil, Aug 31, 2003
  6. wdsnews

    Andre C Guest

    You can by pass the login screen but only if you are the only account
    set up. There is registry tweak though I think tweakui also offers
    this.

    With regard to XP I don't know if the following would work. When you
    boot up for the day, log into the user who has the scehdules. Thus the
    computer is geared to record. Then go back to the login screen. Now
    any user can log into their own account, whilst the TV account runs in
    the background.

    Andre

    Andre C, Aug 31, 2003
  7. wdsnews

    Tim Guest

    You can by pass the login screen but only if you are the only account
    That is bypassing the user-interactive login process yes, but you are still
    logging in with a USER NAME and/or Password. Those programs just enable
    auto-login, which stores your username and/or password and uses that information
    to automatically log you on. It still is a login process, and the login process
    cannot be bypassed.

    Yea that'd work. But keep in mind, most programs which require access to the
    computer hardware don't like to be opened more than once. The second user
    logged in could suffer error messages saying this program is already running....
    but is simple to press OK and go about your business. Also, if it's not a very
    fast computer, having more than one person logged on at a time will degrade
    overall system performance.

    Tim, Aug 31, 2003
  8. wdsnews

    Tim Guest

    Why must we assume he's not talking about XP?

    That is already known. What I am trying to argue is you cannot bypass the login
    process on XP and login without entering a username &/or password, whether you
    type it in or click on a name or whether windows automatically does it for you
    (Auto Login, referring to my other post). The original poster mentions not what
    his operating system is, but makes references to the default user when you
    bypass logging onto the system. Since you cannot bypass logging onto Windows
    XP, he cannot be talking about Windows XP.

    Tim, Aug 31, 2003
  9. wdsnews

    Tim Guest

    I believe you need to do us the courtesy of responding with additional
    information (please check the other posts).

    This is something that is really not liked... someone posts a request for help
    without providing enough information, and never responds with that required
    information. Usually ends to blocking that person from people's systems and you
    won't receive help from those people....

    Tim, Aug 31, 2003
  10. wdsnews

    JAD Guest

    If he used the word 'guest' it may have been more appropriate I think...but anywho 9x versions of windows share the setting unless
    you evoke multiple users. Most people don't do this, but if the OP did , then just turn that off.

    If in fact your using XP/2000 there are administration controls that allow you to share desktop settings with other users.

    Alt.windows-xp

    JAD, Aug 31, 2003
  11. wdsnews

    Andre C Guest

    I agree. That is the problem of trying to create an all purpose
    multimedia device. Maybe if MMC is disabled in all the other accounts
    except the TV one that would avoid conflict. This assumes that people
    are not wanting to watch it on the computer of course. Far from ideal.

    Maybe there is a registry hack which will allow pointing to the same
    schedule whatever user. after all you can have "shared documents"
    folder ect. ATI ought to think about that if and when they ditch
    gemstar.

    Andre

    Andre C, Sep 1, 2003
  12. wdsnews

    wdsnews Guest

    Thanks for your attention. We're using WinXP Pro on a Domain network. It
    create's a profile for each user. There is also an "All Users" profile and
    a "Default" profile. But when nobody is logged on, the Default profile info
    is used.

    wdsnews, Sep 3, 2003
  13. wdsnews

    Tim Guest

    Why are you referring to the default user? You cannot bypass login on Windows
    XP.... even if you have your PC setup to automatically log you on (which is a
    default thing in Windows XP when it's installed)... you're still being logged
    on.

    You can go in using Registery Editor and edit the registry settings for the
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT. Setup how you want everything in one profile, export the
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER tree to a REG file. Open it up in notepad and replace every
    instance of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" with "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT". Save it, then
    double-click on it and add it to the registery. EVERY registery setting will be
    exported into that registry location.

    The .DEFAULT under the HKEY_USERS is probably for backward compatibility with
    older programs that saved their settings there. But, Windows XP is NT-Based,
    and because of that, security of the system requires that a user logs in. You
    CANNOT bypass logging in.

    You may wish to read the other posts on this thread...

    Tim, Sep 4, 2003
  14. wdsnews

    wdsnews Guest

    Thanks for your attention.

    I tried setting the schedule in the Admin's login, but it didn't work. All
    other profiles have their own schedule. What I need is a way to share the
    ATI settings in one profile with all the others.

    wdsnews, Sep 7, 2003
  15. wdsnews

    wdsnews Guest

    That is a good suggestion, but it didn't work. The moment someone logs on,
    a new profile and a new set of settings are adopted.

    wdsnews, Sep 7, 2003
  16. wdsnews

    wdsnews Guest

    Why are you referring to the default user? ... Windows XP is NT-Based,
    I appreciate your help, but please consider the possibility of "logging off"
    without "shutting down". Or consider simply turning on the PC and letting
    it sit without "loggin in". In such a situation, a profile is still in
    effect. A screen saver still runs. Schedules are still executed. The main
    difference is that the default profile is used instead of an assigned
    profile.

    The only time someone is "required" to logon is if you want to use the
    computer for more than it will do by itself. For example, if I wanted to
    access the shared disk or printer of this computer from another computer,
    nobody would have to logon at the keyboard of this computer. In another
    example, if I wanted to change a schedule, I would have to logon. But if I
    simply wanted to record a show I had previously scheduled, I could simply
    turn it on and let it sit... assuming it were possible to share the user
    settings with the default profile.

    BTW, one of the registry keys to search for includes "ATI MMC". I've
    successfully set the admin's profile to put "ATI MMC" in a common folder.
    The time-shift file seems to be using the new folder. So now I'm wondering
    if there is an official document that tells us how to share the MMC settings
    with other profiles. Unfortunately, each new experiment seems to wipe-out
    my previous settings.

    I appreciate your suggestion for exporting and importing HKEY_USERS
    settings, but I don't want to share all profile info. I just want to share
    settings specific to the MMC 8.5.

    wdsnews, Sep 8, 2003
  17. wdsnews

    wdsnews Guest

    Thanks Tim. I very much appreciate the help here. Thankfully, the weeked
    arrived, and I am able to get back to this group. I hope my other posts
    filled in the missing info.

    wdsnews, Sep 8, 2003
  18. wdsnews

    Tim Guest

    I appreciate your help, but please consider the possibility of "logging off"
    Agreed, but YOU cannot run software in this state. Only scheduled tasks done
    with the Windows Scheduling service (AT) can be run in this mode. You have no
    access to Windows Explorer or the Start Menu for anyone.
    Just "letting it sit" I am assuming you are referring to an auto-logon process
    as discussed many many times on this thread. This is still logging on with some
    user name...

    I think you should do some reading up on Windows NT-Based operating systems. You
    obviously do not comprehend what I am trying to tell you, which is doing neither
    of us any good at this point in time.
    Then why not find the keys where the settings are stored and duplicate them
    only? Sorry, I can't exactly hold your hand while you do this one....

    Tim, Sep 8, 2003
  19. wdsnews

    J.Clarke Guest

    Yes, you can.
    Nope. Nobody is logged on and _no_ profile is in effect.
    Lemme guess--you got an MCSE by taking a cram course?

    J.Clarke, Sep 8, 2003
  20. wdsnews

    J.Clarke Guest

    Nope. This is one of the most common questions asked about
    NT/2K/XP--"how do I run a program with no user logged on", and the
    answer is that you either run it through the scheduler or use the "run
    as service" utility included with the Resource Kit.

    The default profile is the one that is used to set up new users--when a
    new user is created he will have a copy of the default profile until his
    profile is altered. The default profile is not active when there is no
    user logged on.
    Yea, a lot about user profiles but I don't see anything there that
    supports your argument. If there's a particular page you have in mind
    perhaps you could provide a link?
    You are correct that arrogance and ignorance is a dangerous combination.
    So is pot kettle black.

    J.Clarke, Sep 8, 2003