How to share more than with Shared Folder ?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jacky, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Jacky

    Jacky Guest

    I have been wondering if it was possible to use the Unix groups to allow
    read/write access to a whole folder (files and sub-folders in it).

    It is easy to put 2 or more users in the same group BUT I found no way to
    request the Finder (and, for that matter, any other application) to use a rw-rw-
    r-- default scheme when creating or writing new folders or files (similar to the
    "umask 2" Unix command).

    What would be nice is to be able to set the defaults rights from the beginning
    of the user session.

    This could be used to share (although not at the same time of course) an iTunes
    Music Library, an iPhoto Library...

    With Panther fast and beautiful user switching, I felt like creating two
    different accounts for my wife and I and would like to go further but need to
    share some basic things with her.

    Thanks for any hint

    Jacky, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Jacky

    Toshiro Guest

    Sharepoints (freeware) worked well for this in Jaguar. I hvaen't
    tried it in Panther yet.

    Toshiro, Oct 27, 2003