How to stop modem dis-/re-connect on user change?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Don Bruder, Feb 26, 2007.

  1. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    Subject covers "The Big Picture" - Details follow

    I've got multiple users on the machine (A G4-AGP running Panther.9, with
    a "Stealth" serial port (with appropriate, up-to-date driver) feeding a
    USR Courier modem) and a single ISP shared amongst them via dial-up PPP.

    When "fast-switching" users (and presumably when "slow-switching", as
    well, but I haven't checked that to be sure), the modem hangs up, then
    redials - Which causes problems if, for instance, User 1 has a transfer
    going on when User 2 switches in to check email - User 1's transfer gets
    clobbered when the modem hangs up during the switch to User 2.

    I've gone hunting through the Location and Internet Connect stuff trying
    to find a way to stop this (mis)behavior (That I'm sure some consider a
    good thing - I'm not one of them) but haven't managed to find anything
    that will do it. Googling gets me several million hits, most of which
    want to sell me a modem, some that tell me how to set up my modem to
    connect at all, and various others, but nothing that solves my
    particular problem.

    So I turn to the group in hopes of an answer...

    Any suggestions on how to set things up so that switching users *DOES
    NOT* hang up the modem then redial it? Basically, the behavior I
    need/want is "Dial the modem once, when the first user logs in (or maybe
    "tries to access the 'net"), then, unless somebody explicitly says "hang
    up" (or possibly, unless *ALL* users are logged out), keep it connected
    regardless of user switches" behavior.

    I expect this must be possible, since the current behavior pretty well
    destroys the usefulness of being able to switch users when there might
    be any kind of network stuff going on.

    So what say you, gurus? Where do I need to be looking, and what do I
    need to set to get it to happen?

    (I'm not afraid of the Terminal window, if that's what it takes)

    Thanks in advance!

    Don Bruder, Feb 26, 2007

  2. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest