How to tell which formats a DVD-ROM can read?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by mike, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I have a small pile of laptop DVD-ROM drives.
    I want to try to put a drive that can read DVD-RW and DVD+RW
    into my old mp3 player laptop.
    All the vendors that list the format compatibility state DVD-RW.
    I can't find any info on the Panasonic site.
    In particular the Matsushita/Panasonic SR-8171-H from a thinkpad??

    Is there a format compatibility list somewhere?
    Thanks, mike

    --
    Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, Oct 27, 2005

  2. mike

    bxf Guest

    This refers to a machine's WRITING ability. Generally, all drives will
    READ all of +R/-R/+RW/-RW disks.

    bxf, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Unless they were of Toshiba manufacture during the era when Toshiba were
    deliberately rigging the drives to ignore DVD+RW. But otherwise the advise
    is good, +RW and -RW are identical from the reading point of view.

    However, not all DVD-ROM drives will read RW disks, Newer ones should but
    older ones, not necessarily.

    The Electric Fan Club, Oct 27, 2005