    I believe somehow my PCI slots are busted since my sound card wont work on
    my computer but it works on another. Whats an easy way to test if my PCI
    slots on my motherboard or broken?

    Chris, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Chris

    Shep© Guest

    Sometimes it's just the PCI card doesn't like a particular PCI slot
    because the slot is hard wired to an IRQ and the device cannot share
    properly.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Nope... tried more than 1 pci slot with the same prob... i wanna know if its
    a compatability issue or not because i would like ot buy a TV tuner card but
    if its not ognna work because my pci slots are broken i would liek to know
    :)

    Chris, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Chris

    Ben Pope Guest

    It would seem unlikely that your PCI slots are dead, but anything is
    possible.

    Given that your PCI slots have not killed your sound card (you say it works
    on another system) it's probably reasonably safe to assume that they won't
    kill another PCI card, so insert one and see if it works. If you already
    have a working PCI card in your system then move it to each slot to confirm
    they are not broken.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 7, 2003
  5. Chris

    Shep© Guest

    What he said :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Chris

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Try all the PCI slots. I did a BIOS upgrade a while back on an ECS
    board, and the slot my sblive 5.1 formally was working in no longer
    worked (the BIOS flash changed the IRQ assignments for the PCI slots).
    Moved to a second PCI slot, no workie. Had to go to a 3rd PCI slot b4
    the card would work. Some cards apparently want a particular IRQ, and
    are not truly PNP compatible.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle