How to tighten loose HP pavilion screen hinges?

Discussion in 'HP' started by peter, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    I have an HP pavilion N5195 laptop, now way out of warranty. My
    problem is that the screen hinge works loose. With the screen open
    there is about 2 inches of "play" in the hinge (i.e. I can grab the
    top center where the release latch is and gently pull it about 2
    inches towards me (as if to close) without the hinge friction
    engaging.

    Furthermore, as I examine the screen and the hinges it appears that
    there is also a lot of play at the base of the screen. I can twist the
    lower corners of the screen maybe an eighth of an inch in and out.
    That doesn't sound like a lot but on a laptop, that seems like a very
    weak link ready to go at some point.

    Can anyone tell me how to get in there to tighten up whatever needs
    tightening? I can't seem to find it and I am naturally reluctant to
    just rip the thing apart without some direction.

    I know that it can be tightened up because when I once returned the
    machine for warranty repair the screen was this loose when it went in
    but came back tight. It has since worked loose.

    Any suggestions?

    Peter Stock

    peter, Oct 7, 2003

  2. peter

    Quaoar Guest

    Open the screen as completely as possible. Look at the hinges, near the
    top, is there a visible seam? If so, the plastic hinge cover just snaps
    off, if you carefully insert a universal pry bar into the seam. The
    screws will then be exposed.

    Quaoar, Oct 8, 2003