How to transfer data from old PPC7600 to G5

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jon Doe, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. Jon Doe

    Jon Doe Guest

    Hi!
    We just upgraded mom from an old PowerPC7600 to a brand new minimac -
    and she's lovin' it!

    However, I haven't found a decent way to transfer the data from the old
    machine, which has no USB or CD writer to the new machine which has no
    SCSI or AppleBus (or whatever it was called).

    Anybody have an idea how to connect these machines best?
    The old machine is running OS7.5. I connected it to my router and can
    browse the web now. I managed to email some files to myself, but it
    would be nice to not have to go that route.

    There is no terminal or ftp or something like that, as far as I can tell.

    Would appreciate some pointers! Thanks in advance!
    -j

    Jon Doe, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Jon Doe

    Mathue Guest

    That machine should have a 10-base t ethernet port on it as you
    probably have found out since you're connected to your router.

    The mac mini running Tiger will need Appletalk enabled. The bigger
    trick is that I'm pretty sure that that old machine doesn't speak
    appletalk in a way the tiger machine will see i.e. AppleTalk over
    TCP/IP. I don't recall which panel this is set, nor even if 7.5 can do
    that.

    The drives in that machine are SCSI so pulling the drive and putting
    it in a Firewire enclosure probably isn't practical. (Does anyone make
    a SCSI Firewire enclosure?)

    Mathue, Aug 23, 2005

  3. The wrinkle is that Tiger can't function as an AFP client with older
    Macs that don't do AFP via TCP/IP. The solution is apparently to use the
    older Mac as the client and the new Mac as the server. For a fuller
    explanation, see
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301183>.

    Neill Massello, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Jon Doe

    Jon Doe Guest

    Thanks all!
    FTP (fetch from fetchsoftworks) worked great. For some reason I hadn't
    even considered putting new SW on that old machine...
    Anyway, now I'm set.

    And just in case: I did not get AFP to work, eventhough the mini (and
    my G5) is running 10.3.9.
    -j

    Jon Doe, Aug 24, 2005