How to transfer OS from old HD to new?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rockin Ronnie, Jan 10, 2004.

  1. I am sorry if this has been beaten to death but hear goes.

    I am about to replace my original 40 gig Maxtor drive with a Seagate
    (Barracuda 7200.7 120 GB ATA 100 7200rpm 8MB). Got good deal at www.ncix.com
    $123CDN.

    I have a P4T-E, with an Intel 2.0a Northwood.

    Running WinXP Pro with latest updates, 512 Samsung RDRAM, Radeon 9600Pro

    Can I transfer my OS to the new drive without having to do a fresh install?
    Do I set it up thus: old drive Primary Master, new drive: Secondary Master?
    Does WinXP have a utility that will allow me to do this or 3rd party
    software? Is there a site I can go to with specific instructions?

    Ron

    Rockin Ronnie, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Rockin Ronnie

    edde Guest

    edde, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Rockin Ronnie

    Darkfalz Guest

    Only if the disks are identical.

    Darkfalz, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Rockin Ronnie

    Ken Fox Guest

    My one contribution would be to encourage you to swap the drives physically.
    By that I mean, if I get your intention, turn the old drive into the slave
    on the primary channel and add the new one as the master. You can just
    change the jumpers to accomplish this, and if relocating the drives
    themselves is too much hassle, just twist up the IDE cable to accomplish
    this. Of course, you need to take the far end of the IDE cable and plug
    that into the master and the near end into the slave. Some will say this is
    a bad idea but I've always gotten away with it even though I try to avoid it
    if I can.

    This is not to say that you won't "get away with it" if you just make the
    new drive the slave and instruct the bios to boot from the slave. But,
    there is just no advantage in doing so and it might create problems with the
    boot record/boot.ini so why do it?

    I have used Norton Ghost images in this way (with Win2K) quite a few times
    and never had a problem. I have read elsewhere that with XP you need to
    image the whole drive and not just a specific partition. I don't know if
    this is true because I've yet to use Ghost on XP. I think that DriveImage
    or other imaging tools are likely to work also, so you are not limited to
    Ghost.

    Good luck!

    ken
    p.s. if you have a friend who owns an imaging program you could just
    "borrow" an image program boot disk for a half hour and do this imaging
    business; you don't need to actually load such a program on your hard drive.

    Ken Fox, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Rockin Ronnie

    pzafian Guest

    Try ACRONIS MigrateEasy Deluxe. I've used it for all my NTFS formatted
    harddrives. If your using FAT32 with WINXP Pro (probably not) your can do it
    the old fashion way (manually using a WIN98 2nd edition boot disk) and then
    XCOPY all the files.

    Good luck,

    Pete

    pzafian, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Rockin Ronnie

    Kyle Brant Guest

    I believe you can use ghost, so long as the target blank
    drive/partitions are the same or larger in size.

    Many HD manufacturers have a "new drive setup/transfer" program that
    will transfer all the files from your old drive to the new drive.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle Brant, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Rockin Ronnie

    edde Guest

    Uh? No.
    You can use Ghost to copy any size/make of disk to any other size/make disk.
    I've done it MANY times.

    This also doesnt apply to Maxblast. Maxblast's only requirement is that ONE
    of the discs is a maxtor.

    edde, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Rockin Ronnie

    hb Guest

    Go to the Seagate website - they have a great program (Disktools?) which
    will do it for you. The program will copy over your old drive, and at the
    correct point display an animation showing how to change the drive from
    master to slave, and vice versa when the copy is done. Its a free download
    BTW.

    hb, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Thanks. I saw something on their site called Diskwizard but not Disktools.
    Is this what you mean?

    Ron

    Rockin Ronnie, Jan 11, 2004