    If i upgrade my drivers will the soft mod be lost? I'm new at this and
    the softmod took awhile before it worked. There's a game that needs
    the 3.9 drivers.

    O.Phooey, Feb 4, 2004

  2. O.Phooey

    Sham B Guest

    You can hard mod it by changing the BIOS. More risky, but when you have
    finished the card will always come up as a 9700 pro irrespective of driver
    or OS

    Sham B, Feb 4, 2004

  3. O.Phooey

    Nil Einne Guest

    More risky? Barely.

    If it's working with the softmod, it's not going to suddenly fail with
    the hard mod. The only risk is that if for some reason your card dies
    for whatever reason, you might not be able to flash it back with the
    old bios in time (especially if you don't have a PCI card) and if you
    don't flash it back it might be rejected for warranty purposes.
    However, this risk isn't really that great especially if you have a
    PCI card. And in most cases when your video card has problems, it
    isn't a sudden death. Perhaps most importantly, there is a good chance
    they won't realise/find out it has been flashed with a 9700 bios,
    especially if the card is well and truly dead.

    Nil Einne, Feb 4, 2004
  4. O.Phooey

    Skid Guest

    Guys, there more to the hard mod than simply flashing the bios. It involves
    a "hardware" modification -- hence the name. You do a bios change after the
    hard-mod, not in place of.

    This is how I did mine:

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/news6129.html

    Once you do a hard mod and flash to a 9700 bios, you never have to worry
    about updating drivers. The card IS a 9700.

    Skid, Feb 4, 2004
  5. O.Phooey

    Dodgy Guest

    www.ocfaq.com has soft modded catalyst drivers all the way up to 4.1

    D0d6y.

    Dodgy, Feb 4, 2004
  6. O.Phooey

    Sham B Guest

    Guys, there more to the hard mod than simply flashing the bios. It
    involves
    Hmmm. All I did was reflash it, and didnt even know there was any link to
    make. My card comes up in all hardware dialogs as a 9700 pro. I have one
    of the older 9500 pros though, so perhaps that had less protection (all it
    had was the BIOS overclock lock).

    Oh, the only hardware mod I made was to add an artic cooler, to allow mucho
    overclocking of the gfx processor :)

    Sham B, Feb 4, 2004
  7. O.Phooey

    Skid Guest

    If you have a 9500 Pro, there is no way to mod it to a 9700 Pro, no matter
    what bios you use or how high you overclock.

    The only card that could be modded was a 9500 non-pro with an L-shaped
    memory configuration (and they stopped making those when ATI found out about
    the mod.) It had 256-bit memory addressing and four closed rendering
    pipelines that could be opened by the mod.

    The Pro has all eight pipelines open, but the four-in-line memory layout
    means it is locked at 128-bit. You could flash the bios to enable
    overclocking, but it is physically impossible to mod it to a full-fleged
    pro.

    Check this for confirmation:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/news6145.html

    If you want to know more about how and why this is all done, visit the
    tweaking forum at www.rage3d.com and search for "9500 mod"

    Skid, Feb 4, 2004
  8. O.Phooey

    O.Phooey Guest

    Only for Win2K and XP. I think only Unwinder/ Rivatuner wrote them for
    Win98 and that may be the last. I guess I could ask him on the forum,
    but he's testy if you ask dumb questions.....Maybe I'll use your
    handle...
    :eek:)

    O.Phooey, Feb 5, 2004