How to upgrade to larger HD / using Norton Ghost 10

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by yeswade, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. yeswade

    yeswade Guest

    Hello - I have an old Dell laptop with an 11G HD that I want to
    upgrade. I purchased a new compatible 80G HD and I have copied my 11G
    HD using Norton Ghost 10. fyi - I connected an external 200G HD via USB
    to my Dell laptop, and I used that as the destination for my copy. I am
    running winXP.

    I have the instructions on how to remove my old 11G HD and install my
    new 80G HD - that part looks pretty do-able and I am confident and I
    can do it on my own.

    My question is - how do I get the copy of my old 11G HD from my
    external 200G HD to the new 80G HD in my laptop?

    Just to let you know - I am not tech smart beyond the basics - so if my
    solution involves complicated instructions once I first re-boot my
    laptop, I ask that you please take this into consideration.

    Also one other thing - I have Googled this topic/answer, and searched
    Norton's site - but am not finding a solution, so this is my last hope
    before I head out to some computer repair place - so I am crossing my
    fingers that someone else has run into this problem and has a solution.

    Thanks.

    yeswade, Oct 24, 2006

  2. yeswade

    Philly Guest

    When you say you copied your 11gb harddrive, do you mean you created an
    image of it on the 200gb usb drive? I use Ghost 2003, which may come with
    Ghost 10. I have a bootable floppy and cdrom with USB drivers on it. That
    way I can boot with either and create an image of my disk which then can be
    restored to a replacement.

    Philly, Oct 24, 2006

  3. It would have been better to have not used the 200g external hard drive,
    and to instead have connected the 80g replacement to the computer (via
    USB). Then, I THINK, there is a "disk-to-disk" option in Ghost, whereby
    the contents of the current drive are copied directly to the new drive
    (not as an image file, but as "live" contents). I know that this
    capability existed in Drive Image (the PowerQuest product that Symantec
    purchased and whose technology got incorporated into the most recent
    versions of Ghost). I'm not absolutely certain if it exists in Ghost 10
    for external USB drives (it may exist for IDE drives but not USB drives).

    Alternatively, you may be able to install the 80 gig drive into the
    laptop, connect the 200g drive, boot from the Ghost CD, and copy the
    image file on the 200g drive to the now-internal 80 gig drive. MAYBE.

    Another possibility is that you connect both the 200g and the 80g drive
    to another computer (desktop) and run Ghost on that computer to restore
    the image file on the 200g drive to the 80g drive.

    I have not used Ghost 10 specifically, so I'm not certain of it's exact
    capabilities, particularly as regards supporting USB drives when you
    boot from it's CD (e.g. with Windows not running).

    Note that recent versions of Ghost require that a computer running an OS
    that was restored with Ghost have Ghost installed on the computer ....
    the restored image is "time bombed" and will stop working if you don't.
    Since Ghost uses Product Activation, this means actually buying a copy
    of Ghost for each computer running an OS derived from a Ghost image.
    However, if you had Ghost installed on the 11MB drive, then this
    requirement is effectively already met.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 24, 2006
  4. yeswade

    SMS Guest

    I used this product:
    "http://apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=reg&id=1023" to upgrade my
    notebook drive. It boots the system from the CD-ROM drive, transfers the
    contents of the existing drive, over USB to the new drive, then you swap
    drives. It was $40 at Fry's. Very straightforward. It's a "Ghost-like"
    program, but not wrecked like Ghost has been.

    Your problem is that you need to not Ghost the 11GB over USB to the
    external 200GB, you need to Ghost it over to the new drive. You can
    Ghost the image over to the new notebook drive from the external 200GB
    drive but you still need an external notebook drive connection somewhere.

    You could buy a converter that temporarily lets you use the new 80GB
    hard drive in the enclosure for your 200GB external drive. I was
    considering doing this instead of using the Apricorn product, but I
    wanted the notebook drive enclosure anyway.

    Honestly, your best bet is to buy the Apricorn or similar product. If
    you don't want it later, to use your 11 GB drive as an external drive,
    then sell it on craigslist.org for 1/2 of what you paid for it. Be sure
    to get the version for "normal" IDE drives, not the SATA version.

    SMS, Oct 24, 2006
  5. yeswade

    - Bobb - Guest

    All store-bought drives I've bought have had a CD with them.
    Did you try it ?
    Power off. Leave/put the original drive in the PC.
    Add the new drive as drive D ( put the jumper on the SLAVE pins - see
    your paperwork.)
    Boot the CD ( change your default from HDD to CD temporarily)
    That should get you to a menu ( Seagate/ Maxtor etc)
    Select COPY Drive

    pick the original, then
    pick the new drive.
    Get a coffee and return in 10 minutes. Copy done
    Power off.
    Remove C drive. Install new drive and move jumper now to MASTER ( or
    remove it depending on the brand - again, see your paperwork.) Chnage
    default back to booting HDD.

    If you do want to use the original 11gb drive as a data drive, make IT
    now the slave (move jumper)
    If you do want 2 HDDs put them both on the same cable and put the CD on
    the other cable.
    ( If you have no need for it, keep it as-is in case your new drive
    develops problems. That way you can still boot windows to get to your
    data )

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Oct 25, 2006
  6. yeswade

    - Bobb - Guest

    After I clicked SEND, I noticed "LAPTOPS" newsgroup!
    I just gave myself a dope slap.

    - Bobb -, Oct 25, 2006
  7. Re: "All store-bought drives I've bought have had a CD with them"

    True for 3.5" drives, but not true for 2.5" (laptop) drives.

    This question is about, indeed this newsgroup is about, laptops. You
    CAN'T add a second internal drive.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 26, 2006
  8. yeswade

    SMS Guest

    Actually you often can. On many laptops you can get a drive-bay adapter,
    remove the optical drive, and install a second hard drive.

    CMS Products sells the bays with drives, not sure if you can buy just
    the bay and add your own hard drive.

    "http://cmsproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=690"

    They include software for cloning drives.

    SMS, Oct 26, 2006
  9. Ok, you can do this on some laptops. I wouldn't say many, however; in
    fact, I think that the day of interchangeable drive bays has past it's
    peak. You can't find a single laptop with those in most retail stores
    today. Only a relatively few laptops still have them.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 26, 2006
  10. yeswade

    Ian Singer Guest

    Sure you can. In a selectabay caddy. Did it in my Portege 4000 and Tecra
    9100

    Ian Singer

    See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
    hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
    All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

    Ian Singer, Oct 26, 2006