    mail servers at my old dialup ISP, and I'd like to access them through
    the modem while surfing through DSL. Is there a way to do this? I'm
    using 10.3.9.

    richard schumacher, Aug 27, 2005

  2. richard schumacher

    Steve Hix Guest

    With a splitter, you can have both at the same time. Which is how our
    landline phone worked off the same line as the DSL modem. Now we have
    the DSL modem in another room, but the principal is the same.

    Steve Hix, Aug 27, 2005

  3. richard schumacher

    Kyle Jones Guest

    It's likely a problem with IP routes. System Preferences ->
    Networking lets you set up a simple priority list of interface
    devices, (modem, ethernet, wi-fi, firewire, bluetooth). The
    highest priority device that has an established network
    connection gets a "default" static route assigned to it. All
    outbound packets go out through the device that has the default
    route except those on the same network as one of the other
    connected interface devices (determined by netmask). That's the
    stock setup and alone it's not going to let you do what you want.

    To access mail and news servers through your dialup link while
    using your DSL link for everything else, first make sure your DSL
    connection is the highest priority in Networking preferences.
    Next you'll have to create host routes to your old ISP's mail and
    news servers to get around the default route. You must create
    these routes only AFTER you have successfully dialed in and you
    must do it EVERY TIME you dial in. The routes go away when your
    dialup session disconnects.

    To create the routes, find the IP addresses of the mail and news
    servers and from Terminal issue the following command line for
    each IP address.

    sudo route add -host SERVERIP -interface ppp0

    Replace SERVERIP with the IP address of the server for which
    you're creating a route. Enter your password when sudo requests it.

    Kyle Jones, Aug 27, 2005