How to Use UEFI With Dell T7600

Discussion in 'Dell' started by W, Jan 25, 2014.

  1. W

    W Guest

    I'm about to install Windows 7 64-bit to a Dell T7600, and for the first
    time I am dealing with this new replacement for BIOS named UEFI. What a
    mess. It looks to me like this is a feature that doesn't quite work. The
    OS support for this feature is poor. The implementation in firmware looks
    immature. In any case, the problem is that if you have a bootable USB
    flash on a USB 3.0 drive, it demands that you enable UEFI. I enable it,
    but I cannot see the "UEFI compliant USB 3.0 Flash" from the T7600, so I
    cannot select it as a boot device. I'm booting a Passmark USB 3.0 disk
    with their installed benchmark application on Linux.

    When I configure the T7600 for UEFI, and try to add a device, I get a
    "Missing File System" error. Does this feature require that I have some
    GPT formatted Windows system disk lying around for it to write its own data
    files on? I really don't understand the big picture here of what I need
    to have in my environment to use UEFI. Can someone point me to appropriate
    documentation? As usual, the Dell T7600 documentation is very poor and
    doesn't begin to answer any real questions.

    And now the million-dollar question: should I even want to use UEFI in its
    current state with Windows 7 64-bit? I gather it will cause more problems
    than it will solve but would like to hear from others.

    W, Jan 25, 2014