HP 4250 laserjet - maximising consumable use

Discussion in 'HP' started by Tim Streater, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    At present I have the 4250 configured to STOP when it gets out of ink.
    The reason is that a lot of what we print goes outside, so if I am doing
    a mail merge (say), I want the printer to stop before it starts to print
    unevenly.

    But, with those carts, it is typically possible to shake them once they
    are "out of ink" at least the first time or two, and continue printing.
    Can anyone tell me:

    1) Once the printer has stopped with ink-out on a cartridge, is it
    possible just to shake the cartridge and re-install it? I haven't been
    there when it's run out yet.

    2) If not, can I re-use it if I set the printer to continue on ink-out?
    Or does the printer "kill" the chip on the cart?

    3) Is there somewhere where I can read up about this stuff.

    In essence I want the printer to stop when it thinks it's about to run
    out of ink, but allow remaining ink to be used for at some other time
    for jobs where the print quality is of less importance.

    Tim Streater, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Tim Streater

    Tony Guest

    The status of the cartridge (how much toner is left and other information) is
    stored in the cartridge chip, not in the printer. The chip is constantly
    updated as the printer prints and at some point will reach the stage where
    toner low is signalled. At a later point it will signal toner out. So you can
    put aside a cartridge and reinstall it in this or any other printer that uses
    this cartridge and continue to use it until the chip posts toner out. Generally
    speaking these cartridges will still be printing well when the toner out signal
    occurs, this is by design since HP does not want any complaints that the
    quality dropped before the toner out condition was reached. That is in no way a
    cheat by HP, by the time that happens you should have enjoyed the number of
    pages that the cartridge was designed for at the published toner cover per page
    (usually 5%).

    Tony
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Tony, Nov 22, 2007

  3. Tim Streater

    Amy Guest

    Is there any HP printers out there that support LTP1 connection? I
    have an old pc that doesn't use usb.

    Thanks

    Amy, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Herman D. Knoble, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    Tony,

    For obscure reasons I only just saw this. Thanks for the succinct
    summary - it matches with my experience.

    Tim Streater, Jan 16, 2008