HP 960 C Deskjet printer - cannot install new printer driver on HP pavilion

Discussion in 'HP' started by Alan, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old)
    and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I was
    able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and tried to install it. But
    the printer driver assistant "wants to close" and send error message to
    microsoft. I have tried several times to do this update but it fails. I
    tried uninstalling the software from add/remove programs but nothing happens
    when I try to do that. HP support had me modify the registry and remove
    a subfolder relating to this printer, but that also did not help and i used
    system restore to revert. I also tried using the installation cd to
    remove. it did its routine but did not remove anything and the printer
    still works. I cannot help but wonder if the driver install program is
    defective.

    Since i can work around the glitch I am ready to give up - but thought I
    would ask about this

    alan

    Alan, Dec 16, 2005

  2. Alan

    Ben Myers Guest

    Where did the newer driver come from, HP or Micro$oft? If the latter, I would
    strenuously avoid installing hardware driver updates from the Microsoft update
    web site. There are too many buggy hardware drivers there, and quality control
    seems to not exist. I have installed hardware updates from there and had
    graphics go south and network adapters stop working.

    What is the glitch printing a PowerPoint document? Have you tried a lower
    resolution? Sometimes the print files generated by Microsoft Office products
    are extremely bloated and cause printers to malfunction.

    As an alternative, you might install an older printer driver and use it with the
    960c. The 500c or 550c driver goes back about as far as you can go, and it is
    compatible with newer inkjet and printer-copier-scanner devices. Less
    functional and lower resolution, though... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 16, 2005

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Ben
    the driver I am using as well as new one are from HP. The glitch is very
    odd - This printer is set with default settings to print in black and
    white. I change those settings within the application i want to print from
    and have never had an issue - even with office 97. Now with office 2003, I
    do not have any issues except w ith powerpoint which does not "hold''' the
    setting when I change printer properties from within powerpoint. I must
    change the settings from within Add/Remve programs to enable this change, or
    other properties changes. I find it odd, since it does not affect Word or
    Excel. So I am still thinking it is something related to powerpoint but
    still had thought to try to upgrade the printer driver. I can print fine
    with current driver and will likely leave it to another day to fix it

    alan

    Alan, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Alan

    Ben Myers Guest

    It sounds to me like a stupid problem with stupid PowerPoint, from the company
    that has no clue about software quality control... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 17, 2005
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Ben