    machine for dirt cheap so I'm not very partial to building my own, but
    what I'd like to know; does this type of motherboard experience a high
    failure rate? I can't seem to find much information anywhere. thanks.

    mikefitzgibbonsson, Jun 17, 2006

  2. mikefitzgibbonsson

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I'm looking into buying a cheap compaq 3200+ 64bit that comes
    > preinstalled with a "HP/Compaq K8S-LA (Salmon)." I'm getting this
    > machine for dirt cheap so I'm not very partial to building my own, but
    > what I'd like to know; does this type of motherboard experience a high
    > failure rate? I can't seem to find much information anywhere. thanks.

    It is an OEM motherboard, so your BIOS support comes from HP.
    Don't expect an Asus download page to be of much use.
    In terms of failure rates, power supplies and hard drives
    are more likely to fail than a motherboard. Capacitors are
    the weakest part of a motherboard, and Asus has been
    pretty lucky in that respect, not having nearly the same
    level of problems as Abit had. Other than that, you'd have to
    search Google or some private forums, looking for Salmon
    problems.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00257657&lc=en

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 17, 2006

  3. Thanks for the tip, it's a relief to know Asus don't necessarily have
    capacitor problems like other manufacturers.

    mikefitzgibbonsson, Jun 18, 2006
  4. mikefitzgibbonsson

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip, it's a relief to know Asus don't necessarily have
    > capacitor problems like other manufacturers.

    The stats here are informally kept, but at least Asus is not
    featured on the list on the front page.

    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

    The capacitor problem from the bad caps in recent years, causes
    an abnormally high failure rate. Electrolytic capacitors
    still fail, but the normal life might be ten years or so.
    Capacitors are generally rate as in 3000 hours at temperature
    X, where X is a ridiculously high temperature. Motherboard
    temperatures (or other electronics for that matter) are at
    more reasonable temperatures. The Arrhenius relationship (from
    your chemistry class), predicts that for each 7C drop in
    temperature, reaction rate drops by a factor of two. Since
    the capacitors spend their lives at 35C or 40C environment,
    they last for years. There are other capacitor types that
    could last longer, but cost and properties make them less
    suitable for the job on the motherboard.

    As for the number of capacitors on the motherboard, the number
    is determined partly by their ability to handle ripple current.
    In other words, when you see a cluster of 5 capacitors, it is
    not that they want 5X the capacitance, but they want to spread
    the ripple current over five devices, so each takes 1/5th of the
    load. There are some more expensive capacitors, that have a
    higher ripple current rating - they are fabricated with different
    materials and also cost more. Thus the good old commodity
    electrolytic, is what is prevalent in consumer electronics.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 18, 2006