    or cons for me?

    Thanks,
    Karl

    Karl Magdono, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Does anyone have any comments about this option on the nc8000 (see for > info on the option)? Does it slow down the system at all?

    Could it potentially

    Hi Karl

    The main thing here is that even if you purchase this option, you have
    to deliberately enable its features if you want it to do anything. As
    such, you can buy it, leave it off, and it will be exactly as if you
    didn't have it. Therefore, it will not cause headaches with any program
    or network because you can always turn it off if it doesn't work.

    The main question is: what is the advantage in having it. IMHO, no
    advantage in your situation. The security chip will only work with very
    limited software, and there is unlikely to be anything that you will use
    that would ever need it. There are plenty of software solutions for
    encryption if you ever need it.

    Notice too the language at the web address: "Can help to reduce
    hacking", "Can strengthen wireless user authentication" - pretty weak
    claims really.

    I have an 'integrated security subsystem' myself (on an IBM, but
    basically identical task), and see no point in having it. It came with
    my computer, but I would happily remove that feature to save $25!

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Peter

    Peter Trognolini, Jan 17, 2004