    kind of runtime do you get when on battery?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Apr 15, 2005

  2. On the seventh day, Harvey Gratt wrote...
    while they are manufactured to last :) they are too bulky, heavy and weigh
    far too much. Have you considered the new line of the nw8240, for example?

    You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home. -
    McCoy, "Star Trek: The Next Generation, (Encounter at Farpoint,
    Part I)"

    Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    I wanted to have a parallel port so as to be able to use an older HP
    Laser Printer. It appears that only the nc8000 and nw8000 models have
    this feature.

    Is there an advantage to the nw models over the nc models? Do you have
    any experience with battery runtime operation?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Harvey Gratt

    Ben Myers Guest

    You can get yourself a cable that plugs into the USB port on your new notebook
    and into the printer's parallel port. If the "older HP laser" is in the LJ4 or
    LJ5 class, this oughta work just fine. USB-parallel cables are available to
    work in both directions. There are also external USB hubs which include
    parallel and/or serial ports. Same idea, more features, more desktop clutter.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 15, 2005
  5. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Thanks. It is a LaserJet 4MP. How much does a typical parallel to USB
    cable cost?

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Harvey Gratt

    Ben Myers Guest

    No more than $20 in a store, unless they are trying to rip you off. There are
    also lots of cables sold on eBay, which is an excellent source for various and
    sundry parts. Beats driving from store to store... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 15, 2005
  7. We have several nw8000s at work. They are a bit bulky, but otherwise great
    systems. Even under heavy load they run very reliable (wasn't true for my
    IBM T41p). Battery runtime is depending on the applications up to ~4.5hrs...

    I'm thinking of getting one for myself. Of course there are the new nw8240
    models out now, but they are much wider, and almost as bulky as the nw8000.
    And it looks like the X600 GPU is running much slower than the comparable
    FireGL T2 in the nc8000...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Apr 17, 2005
  8. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    This is good information! Do you have any idea as to the the differences
    between the nw8000 and nc8000 machines? It looked to me as though it was
    mostly in the available options - graphics card, 7200rpm HDD, maximum
    processor speeds. Specifically, are the nc8000 and nw8000 "fit and
    finish" and construction the same? It's not clear which machine is
    "better" and which to choose.

    Also, would you happen to know if the FireGL T2 graphis card uses more
    or less power than the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro graphics controller
    in the nc8000 - battery life is a concern for me.

    Thanks for you input,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Apr 17, 2005
  9. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    One thing I forgot to ask:

    Is the Cardbus Controller (pc card) for the nw8000 the Texas Instrument
    controller? This seems to be the one that is compatible (power draw
    wise) with the Belkin Pre-N pc card. Other controllers have freezing
    issues, i.e., the 02Micro 0Z711EC1 smartcardbus controller.

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Apr 17, 2005
  10. Yes, exactly. The difference besides CPU and HD is the gfx (Radeon 9600 in
    the nc8000 vs FireGL T2 in the nw8000) and the display.
    Yes, they are. The casing parts are the same on both models.
    The FireGL T2 and the Radeon 9600 are identical. The FireGL has more memory
    (128MB vs. 32 or 64MB) and offers additional functions like antialiased
    lines which are used by professional applications like for CAD. Otherwise
    they are the same, and draw the same amount of power.

    However, if You don't need much video RAM (i.e. for textures) You probably
    can save energy by going for the nc8000 with only 32MB memory. But then, I
    doubt it makes any noticeable difference, especially when the FireGL/Radeon
    offers very good power saving functions.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Apr 17, 2005
  11. Sorry, I can't help You here. I only use the PC-Card slot for a CF card
    reader. Can't remember which controller is inside the nc/nw8000....

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Apr 17, 2005
  12. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Thanks for all help. My other choice was a Dell Latitude D800, but
    either the nc8000 or nw8000 appear to be a better choice. If you get a
    chance later on to look in the device manager for a nw8000, let me know
    if you can tell which cardbus controller it has. In the meantine I will
    also be calling HP tomorrow to inquire, but the sales people may or may
    not have the correct information.

    Thanks,
    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Apr 17, 2005