    ie.. is there a printer that is capable of emulating this printer in
    the list of the HP printers supported?
    (MAC OS X 10.4.8)

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Hi Mike... Sorry for the confusion...
    System Prefrences, Print & Fax, (I select the printer from the list),
    Printer Setup, Printer Model, Then from the list of printers I choose
    HP
    and there is a list of HP printers...
    Do you have a link to the HP Site and printer driver?

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Is your HP connected to a Win2K workstation and you are trying to
    connect through a mac by any chance?

    Can I ask if you needed to download drivers from HP? and if so can you
    point me to the link?

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  4. I did that... (Can't say the driver installation said much.. it just
    ran and exited.)

    I deleted the printer and added it again.

    System Prefrences, Print & Fax, Click to + to add a printer, More
    Printers..., (Selected windows Printing, Workgroup, Workstation name)
    Choose, hpdeskjet (My Printer), Printer Model, HP, HP LaserJet 5100
    Series (as there was no DeskJet 51*), Add

    Still when I print to that printer which shows up as an it outputs
    postscript to the HP which prints it as text.. and as you can imagin
    waists a lot of paper...

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  5. Exactly but there is no DeskJet 5100 in the list of printers... So...
    Is it that someone has misunderstood or assumed that the two
    are the same... If you look at the download driver page there is
    mention
    of both.. Just to add to the confusion.

    I noticed that, too too...

    Its not connected to the mac unless networked printers are not actually
    supported as the documentation states they are.... Its connected by
    network... The printer itself is connected to a PC by USB... but
    appears
    on my MAC as a network printer...
    Uhmmm ya.. Didn't I say that?

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  6. Dude.. The MAC thinks the printer is a postscript printer and sends
    postscript to it.
    Probably because the LaserJet 5100 series IS a postscript printer...
    The DeskJet 5150 isn't... And the DeskJet 5150 DOESN'T appear
    in the list of printers....

    You would think that but you'd be wrong.. :)
    Ackk round and round...

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  7. Its a question of physical location and wireing... A physical
    imposibility at the moment..

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  8. SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  9. SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  10. How do I say this politly...
    Racum Frackum Friken Fraken...

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  11. Which brings me back to my original posting...
    Which printer in the list of supported HP printers most closely
    resembles
    the DeskJet 5150 Color Printer...

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  12. I humbly disagree...
    1) My other winblows workstation prints fine to this network printer...
    2) Why would apple send PS to a non postscript printer? If its a HP
    printer (that doesn't support PS)
    then it should be sending PCL to the printer not PS.

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  13. Yes.. that is very true.. and quite possibly the problem..
    It's HPs printer driver on the MAC.. which may or may not be the right
    driver that I've
    selected because I selected the inkjet 5100 series... which may be
    some other printer
    that HP manufactures that does indeed support PS.
    Which brings me back to IS there any other printer on the list is a
    near match to this printer...

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  14. SpreadTooThin

    Sara Kirk Guest

    Not sure if you've seen this:

    http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=357997

    HP Deskjet 5150 is on the supported list for the driver linked to.

    Sara Kirk, Oct 30, 2006
  15. Yep this might work...
    I guess they want you to print to a postscript printer emulator and
    then let ghostscript
    convert it to PCL.. Or something like this...
    So I've installed both ESP Ghostscript and hpijs...
    Now what?
    Brian

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  16. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes that did it!!!!!
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    SpreadTooThin, Oct 30, 2006
  17. SpreadTooThin

    Sara Kirk Guest

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes that did it!!!!!
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

    Oh brilliant - glad to hear it.

    Sara Kirk, Oct 30, 2006
  18. SpreadTooThin

    Rick Jones Guest

    First the obigatory disclaimer - I am not in the printing group at HP.
    I merely have a Photosmart 7150 on my 800 MHz, 10.3.9 G4 iMac at home.

    Not having seen the aforementioned list, I will state IIRC the printer
    "closest" to the DeskJet 5150 was the Photosmart 7150.

    rick jones

    Rick Jones, Oct 30, 2006