    What is the maximum speed of the 4GB memory modules that can be
    installed in this laptop?

    1066 or 1333 MHZ

    JoSSo, May 27, 2011

  2. JoSSo

    Paul Guest

    That machine was actually harder to trace down than I expected.

    I couldn't find the machine listed on Crucial.com
    (But since you own your laptop, you can use the Crucial "system scanner"
    feature, and see if they have the information or not. The system scanner
    may be more accurate.)

    On the Kingston site, they were offering only 800MHz.

    This site says the processor is P8600.

    http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/55684/hp-hdx18-1180ed#tab:specificaties

    In the block diagram here, that design has the memory controller on the
    chipset. So you need to know more about the "MCH" chip, to know the limits.

    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?i...ssor+P8600+(3M+Cache,+2.40+GHz,+1066+MHz+FSB)

    The chipset could be PM45. But even that information doesn't narrow it
    down, because the PM45 supports DDR3 and DDR2 (just not at the same
    time - they have to select one type when designing the computer).

    Page 13 here shows DDR2(667/800) or DDR3(1066/800) as options for PM45 design.
    So that narrows down the speed a bit.

    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/320122.pdf

    OK, I found this brochure from HP.

    HP HDX X18-1180ED Premium Notebook PC
    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c01646468.pdf

    Geheugen 4096 MB (2 x 2048 MB)
    Ondersteunt tot 8 GB DDR3-geheugen

    So it is using DDR3 memory. The Kingston product offered for the machine
    is DDR2. Very confusing! I still cannot be positive of the type of memory.

    I suggest you run CPUZ, and verify the hardware information from
    inside the computer.

    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

    CPUZ will show you a memory tab window similar to this, and then
    you can determine if it is DDR2 type or DDR3 type.

    http://www.cpuid.com/medias/images/en/softwares-cpuz-04.jpg

    In terms of performance, the processor FSB could be running at FSB1066.
    That is 1066*8 = 8500 MB/sec. Two modules run in dual channel mode,
    whether DDR2-800 or DDR3-800, would be 2*6400MB/sec or 12800MB/sec, so even
    with relatively slow-sounding memory type, the memory subsystem is
    still faster than the FSB. The FSB is the bottleneck.

    You can generally use a faster memory type in a slower computer, as
    the module speed can be operated over a range of values. But there
    wouldn't be any advantage to you, to using fast modules.

    If this was my computer, the next step would be using CPUZ. Since
    the HP brochure doesn't agree with the Kingston page, you need to
    confirm the memory type (DDR2 or DDR3) first. If the machine was
    using DDR3, the fastest DDR3 for PM45 is DDR3-1066.

    Paul

    Paul, May 27, 2011

  3. JoSSo

    JoSSo Guest

    Tanx,

    Yes it is using DDR3, currently running 2*2GB 1066 MHZ DDR3.
    So upgrading to 2 * 4GB on 1066 is possible.

    However will it run with 2 * 4GB 1330 MHz?

    Gr
    Jos

    JoSSo, May 27, 2011
  4. JoSSo

    Paul Guest

    That is a function of the chipset.

    Is the chipset PM45 ?

    If it is PM45, you can read about it here. The block diagram
    says DDR3-1066 is the fastest speed PM45 can run (page 13).

    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/320122.pdf

    If you install DDR3-1333, and the chipset cannot run
    that fast, then it will run the memory at DDR3-1066 instead.

    Paul

    Paul, May 27, 2011
  5. JoSSo

    JoSSo Guest

    Paul,

    Yes, it is.

    Gr
    Jos

    JoSSo, May 27, 2011
  6. JoSSo

    JoSSo Guest

    Paul,

    Heaps of information. Tanx for that, again. I am running Windows 7 64
    bit. So that is not the problem.

    Gr
    Jos

    JoSSo, May 27, 2011
  7. JoSSo

    JoSSo Guest

    Paul,

    Some info:
    Processors Information

    Processor 1 ID = 0
    Number of cores 2 (max 2)
    Number of threads 2 (max 2)
    Name Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8600
    Codename Penryn
    Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @
    2.40GHz
    Package (platform ID) Socket P (478) (0x7)
    CPUID 6.7.6
    Extended CPUID 6.17
    Core Stepping M0
    Technology 45 nm
    Core Speed 2393.2 MHz
    Multiplier x FSB 9.0 x 265.9 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 1063.6 MHz
    Stock frequency 2400 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
    EM64T, VT-x
    L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative,
    64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative,
    64-byte line size
    L2 cache 3072 KBytes, 12-way set associative,
    64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control yes
    FID range 6.0x - 9.0x
    Max VID 1.138 V

    Chipset

    Northbridge Intel PM45 rev. 07
    Southbridge Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M) rev. 03
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR3
    Memory Size 4096 MBytes
    Channels Dual, (Symmetric)
    Memory Frequency 531.8 MHz (1:2)
    CAS# latency (CL) 7.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 7
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 20
    MCHBAR I/O Base address 0x0FED10000
    MCHBAR I/O Size 4096

    Memory SPD
    DIMM # 1
    SMBus address 0x50
    Memory type DDR3
    Module format SO-DIMM
    Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2C00000000000000)
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3-8500F (533 MHz)
    Part number 16JSF25664HY-1G1D1
    Serial number D842BEC2
    Manufacturing date Week 47/Year 08
    Number of banks 8
    Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
    EPP no
    XMP no
    JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
    JEDEC #1 6.0-6-6-18-24 @ 457 MHz
    JEDEC #2 7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz
    JEDEC #3 8.0-8-8-23-31 @ 609 MHz

    DIMM # 2
    SMBus address 0x52
    Memory type DDR3
    Module format SO-DIMM
    Manufacturer (ID) Micron Technology (2C00000000000000)
    Size 2048 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3-8500F (533 MHz)
    Part number 16JSF25664HY-1G1D1
    Serial number D842BECC

    JoSSo, May 28, 2011
  8. JoSSo

    Paul Guest

    So it is currently running DDR3-1066 and according to the Intel datasheet,
    that is as fast as PM45 goes (stock settings). Laptops don't generally
    have provisions for overclocking, because that would affect battery
    life.

    Your memory subsystem is already pretty good. How will this change
    from 4GB @ DDR3-1066 to 8GB @ DDR3-1066 pay off ? Do you use a lot
    of Virtual Machines ? Are you using a RAM Disk ? There are people
    who do simulations who need lots of RAM, but for a lot of other things,
    you might not be able to tell the difference when the new RAM is installed.

    http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

    When I changed my current computer from 2GB to 4GB, the main benefit
    was I was able to run three virtual machines at the same time. For most
    other operations of the computer, the extra RAM made no difference.

    Paul

    Paul, May 28, 2011