    Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
    speed,
    and also why the fan is running all the time -

    Phil Schuman, May 29, 2005

  2. Phil Schuman

    Andrew Guest

    : A friend has a HP laptop - ZE5385 -
    : and the fan is running all the time .... it never shuts off -
    : It is always running at 2.6Ghz - even with the Laptop power setting
    : which I thought was supposed to have graduated speed settings...

    : Any thoughts on why the Power setting of "Laptop" is not lowering the CPU
    : speed,
    : and also why the fan is running all the time -

    This is getting to be an FAQ on comp.sys.laptops.

    Two common answers:

    1. The heat sink/fan area around the CPU has gotten dirty and needs to
    be cleaned out, so it can cool properly.

    2. The laptop CPU is running near/at 100% load therefore causing the
    CPU to get hot and thus the fan comes on automatically to cool it.
    Could be spybot software or something like that or perhaps even
    anti-virus software that is always scanning files. The laptop would
    probably seem slow in this case, but you can verify by doing
    CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager to look at CPU utilization.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, May 29, 2005

  3. Phil Schuman

    Phil Schuman Guest

    well - neither one really applies in this case
    #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
    #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
    (right click)
    So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
    even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

    Phil Schuman, May 30, 2005
  4. Phil Schuman

    Andrew Guest

    : well - neither one really applies in this case
    : #1 - task manager shows about 95% idle time
    : #2 - the CPU is running at 2.6Ghz all the time when checked via My Computer
    : (right click)

    And it will always be shown running at 2.6GHZ on My Computer,
    regardless of the Power Management settings.

    : So - the real problem, is why the CPU is running flat out
    : even when the power scheme settings is Laptop -
    : http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp#cpupmgt

    Doubt that's the real problem. My Toshiba 2GHZ Celeron has a fan that
    only occasionally comes on when the computer is on A/C power and running at
    full speed. Mine defaults to full CPU power when on A/C. Your HP
    design could be different, but the CPU should run a lot cooler when
    idling even at 2.6GHZ. Perhaps HP just leaves the fan on all the time?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, May 30, 2005
  5. Phil Schuman

    Quaoar Guest

    The 2.6Ghz P4 845MP/MZ does not throttle CPU frequency for thermal
    control - the CPU runs at 2.6Ghz always, but the clock steps in
    increments to reduce effective throughput as dictated by the internal
    thermal control circuitry. In addition, I have never seen a mobile P4
    that runs cool enough that the fan is or can be stopped, but then I've
    not seen all of them. The P4 CPU is simply terribly ineffiecient as
    anyone with a P4/P4M furnace laptop can attest. FWIW, all P4s run with
    clock stepping instead of CPU frequency (voltage) modulation for thermal
    control.

    Quaoar, May 30, 2005
  6. Phil Schuman

    RedpIll Guest

    you need an AMD processor if you want throttling ,baby!!

    --redpill

    RedpIll, May 30, 2005
  7. My Acer TravelMate 251 LC_DT has a 2.5GHz P4, and it only
    occasionally switches its CPU fan on. The bottom of the
    case is fairly warm, it's never hot even after several days
    of uptime.

    Stefaan A Eeckels, May 30, 2005
  8. Phil Schuman

    Quaoar Guest

    Amazing. I'm surprised the CPU has not burned up.

    Quaoar, May 30, 2005
  9. It has the air intake above the keyboard, and when idle,
    the fan only kicks in every 10 minutes. Obviously, when
    going flat-out, it comes on more often, but it's never
    permanently on. It's a neat notebook (even though about
    1.5 years old) that wasn't expensive for its specifications
    (512MB RAM, 30GB disk, P4 2.5GHz, combined CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    and 15" XVGA for 1098 Euro, bought Christmas 2003).

    Take care,

    Stefaan A Eeckels, May 30, 2005
  10. Phil Schuman

    mike Guest

    I don't have anything faster than a 600 Celeron laptop, so YMMV.
    I gave up trying to get laptop power management to work.
    I always turn it off in the BIOS and the OS.
    I run a program called CPU cooler that halts the processor periodically
    when it's in the idle loop. Makes a significant reduction in
    temperature. Even tho the monitor shows CPU usage at 100% it's mostly
    executing the halt instruction...I think.

    If you've got a better solution, by all means use it. For me, this has
    worked better than letting the BIOS and OS fight over who has power control.

    Now if I could just figger out how to get suspend to work reliably;-(
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, May 30, 2005
  11. Interesting. I have an HP Pavilion Notebook running at 1.6 GHz, and
    have had two hard drives destroyed, probably due to heat. I finally got
    a "cool pad" for the notebook. This plugs into a USB port, and has two
    fans to help cool the notebook. I've heard good reviews. Apparently
    overheating is fairly common with HP notebooks.

    Cool pads can be obtained for anywhere from $20 to $100, depending on
    the bells and whistles.

    Gabriel Strasser, Jun 1, 2005
  12. Phil Schuman

    swiftyme Guest

    I Am having the opposite problem with my HP Pavilion Ze5500.
    When i right click my computer > properties, it says its only
    running at 1.6GHz instead of 2.66
    I cannot find any settings in the bios to change any of this, and its
    irritating me by making my audio jump.
    I did have some processes pegging my CPU Usage at 100% which i have
    sorted so the laptop runs better, but still jumpy audio and running
    at 1.6GHz.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    David

    swiftyme, Jun 2, 2005
  13. Phil Schuman

    johnsawyer

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    FAN always ON - solution

    I’ve been searching the web for hours how to change the settings that under Vista the laptop fan would not be always running while on AC power. I've tried multitudes of power configurations. When I run on AC the fan is constantly on, although it’s not excessively loud. If running on batteries, the notebook is silent. Under Windows XP the fan turned on only when the temperature rose above a certain level, regardless whether it was running on battery or plugged in. I thought it had to do something with the absence of nVidia PowerMizer settings under Vista. I tried SpeedFan, Notebook Hardware Control (NHC), RivaTuner – some of them don’t work on x64, some don’t have signed drivers etc. I read that one guy even soldered a resistor to reduce the fan speed.

    Well, the solution to silence my HP nw9440 mobile workstation notebook was really simple:
    In BIOS under System Configuration | Device Configurations there is a setting called “Fan Always on while on AC Power” and it was “Enabled”.
    Vista’s ACPI was actually conforming to this BIOS setting and XP’s ACPI was ignoring this setting. I just disabled it and the laptop is much more pleasant to use – even without earplugs ;) I nevertheless put a CD box under the touchpad to improve cooling – so that the fan doesn’t need to turn on that often.

    I hope this helps someone. :) The same should work on other more recent HP laptops running Vista (nx9420, nx8420, 8510p, 8510w, 8710p, 8710w), and presumably also on Dell, Gateway, Asus... If you don’t see the setting, try upgrading to the latest BIOS firmware.

    johnsawyer, Dec 16, 2007