HP LaserJet 2100TN: What is a fuser and would it be possible tofix?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Misha, Sep 7, 2013.

  1. Misha

    Misha Guest

    My friend is willing to give me his B&W laser printer:
    HP LaserJet 2100TN

    It still works but he says it does not print as dark as it used to.
    Here is what he says.

    Do you think, based on this, that the fuser is bad?

    Here is what my friend wrote me just now:

    Hi Misha,
    Do you want my HP LaserJet 2100TN? It works ok but prints light.

    I’m guessing the fuser would need to be replaced if you want it to print
    dark although a new toner cartridge might also work. The printer says it
    has printed 37k pages and the fuser has a life expectancy of 150k pages
    so there is definitely life left in it. I was considering replacing the
    fuser myself – you can buy fusers for about $30 and they are very easy to
    replace on this model. But it just doesn’t make sense for me to invest
    in this printer any longer

    It has had the occasional paper jam but otherwise it has been great. It
    has two trays that hold about 500 pages each, 24MB of memory, and a
    Ethernet port. I still have some toner cartridges left but I don’t know
    how much toner is in them.

    Misha, Sep 7, 2013

  2. Misha

    Oren Guest

    Is that comment a clue for you?

    Oren, Sep 7, 2013

  3. Misha

    Tony Guest

    Fusers almost never cause light printing and on the very rare occasions that
    they do they cause ghosting down the page.
    Far more likely that it needs a new cartridge, bear in mind that cartridges
    that have been in storage for a very long time can print light.
    If the light printing is not across the entire page, cleaning the scanner glass
    may improve matters. Failing that you may have a failing transfer roller (or it
    may not be making good contact in its housing) but this is not common.
    A new cartridge nearly always fixes light printing.
    Tony

    Tony, Sep 7, 2013
  4. Misha-

    I think you can probably get the printer to work, and it should be a
    workhorse.

    It is my understanding that the fuser heats the printed page as it
    passes through the printer, melting the toner into the surface of the
    paper. If the ink does not rub off after it leaves the printer, the
    fuser may be working correctly.

    If printout is light, it could be caused by lack of toner, or the
    photosensitive "drum" could be worn out. Some laser printers have the
    drum in the cartridge, so a new cartridge would have a new drum. I do
    not know about that model, but it would only cost you the price of a new
    HP cartridge to find out.

    I found a service manual at
    <http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/2100sm.pdf>. Its troubleshooting
    section may be helpful.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Sep 7, 2013
  5. Misha

    clare Guest

    It's not the fuser. The fuser is a quartz tube "lamp" that heats the
    fusing roller - which melts the electrostatically deposited
    polymer/carbon toner into the paper. Either it works or it doesn't -
    (or just doesn't get hot enough) the toner smudges off the paper. If
    it fails totally the printer shuts down and gives an error code.

    clare, Sep 7, 2013
  6. Misha

    clare Guest

    I've replaced fuses on printers a lot older than that because it made
    good economic sense - but this was on heavy duty printers like Series
    2 and LJ4000 printers.

    clare, Sep 7, 2013
  7. Misha

    clare Guest

    A 2100tn would be worth rebuilding the fuser on IF the fuser was the
    problem and you are handy enough to do the labour. The tube itself is
    cheap. A rebuilt fuser is only about $55 - $85.

    I've bought the bare tubes for $30

    clare, Sep 7, 2013
  8. Misha

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Fuser is a heater which put the ink particles bond to paper for good.
    I think the printer drum(where image is formed) is going.(usually a part
    of toner cartridge) when image comes out light.

    Tony Hwang, Sep 8, 2013
  9. Misha

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Jon Danniken, Sep 8, 2013
  10. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I'll try that first! Thanks.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  11. Misha

    micky Guest

    I thought the fuser was the heater that melted the ink particles so
    they became liquid ink and stuck to the page. Tony seems to say the
    same thing.

    When the fuser isn't working the ink comes out llike dust on the paper
    and you can shake it off or blow it off. When the fuser isn't
    working at all what you get looks like a blank sheet of paper. I
    sort of think it's not possible for the fuser to be working but not
    well so that it gives a light image.

    When I had a laser photocopier, made around 1978, the thermostat on
    the fuser was broken, and like I said, it looked like the page had
    printed, but all the ink fell off when I took the paper out of the
    tray, or blew off when I blew on it.

    I have a B&W laser printer and it's nice that there are no little
    holes to clog or dry out. And that if I don't use it for weeks or
    months, it's still the same.

    Mine has two settings, light and regular. Maybe yours is set wrong.
    Mine has gotten a little lighter lately, but I haven't investigated
    it. After it wears out or when it needs more toner, I'll switch to my
    dentist's printer. It was out in the hall waiting for the janitor to
    throw it away when I came for an appointment a year or two ago. They
    said it worked fine, but they were upgrading the computer etc.

    There is a whole printer newsgroup that was good last time I had a
    printer question. Oh, I see you included it, comp.periphs.printers .

    micky, Sep 8, 2013
  12. Misha

    Tegger Guest

    wrote in

    The old LJ II and III printers used to have problems with the density board
    that led to light printing. Would the OP's machine have a density board?

    Tegger, Sep 8, 2013
  13. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I have no idea *what* a density board is.
    My friend had appletalk; is that the same thing?

    Here is a picture of the HP LaserJet 2100TN hooked up at my house:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/kxq9t.gif

    I plugged it into the router by the ethernet cable, but, nothing
    happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same router by ethernet
    cable.

    Probably I need drivers, but, when I went to the HP support page,
    they had tons of drivers. But which one is the one needed to enable
    the WinXP PC (and the other PCs connected wirelessly to the router)
    to see the printer?
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2ro52ty.gif

    Which of these drivers will make the ethernet work?
    1. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e Printer Driver
    2. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver
    3. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e point and print bundles
    4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles
    5. 3 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
    6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit

    And, which of those makes the scanner part work?

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  14. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Nice find! Wow. Very gracious of you. I love it!
    Thanks.

    For starters, page 45 showed me how to print the test page
    from the "Go" button, and, guess what?

    The results sure look dark enough to me!
    http://i40.tinypic.com/eb3mnq.gif

    So, now all I need to do is figure out how to network it,
    by reading chapter 3 "Networking", page 54. I'll open a
    separate thread on networking, if I have problems, after
    reading the document.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  15. Eddie Powalski, Sep 8, 2013
  16. Misha

    Tony Guest

    I may have inadvertently misled you. The scanner I referred to is the one that
    is part of the print engine, the LJ2100 does not scan documents.
    I assume there is a JetDirect card in the printer, if not you will need to
    either add one or use a print server if you want to network the printer over
    Ethernet.
    Tony

    Tony, Sep 8, 2013
  17. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I had never heard of a "JetDirect", but, clearly the printer has
    an ethernet port as shown in this picture below:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/1oosug.gif

    Also, the test pages that printed show under "General Information"
    1. HP JETDIRECT = J3110A
    2. PORT SELECT = 10BASET
    3. I/O CARD = READY
    4. SNMP SET CMTY NAME = NONE
    5. TCP/IP STATUS = READY

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  18. Misha

    Tony Guest

    Ah good, then Ethernet connection should be possible.
    Tony

    Tony, Sep 8, 2013
  19. Misha

    Misha Guest