HP OfficeJet 6210/7210/PSC 750 printers & Windows Server 2003 w/Terminal Services

Discussion in 'HP' started by Daniel, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Greetings,

    I'm trying to help a client setup a Windows Server 2003 platform to
    host their application to support their furniture stores. One store has
    a HP OfficeJet 6210, the other has an OfficeJet 7210 printer. I am
    attempting to setup support for each store so they can use Terminal
    Services/Remote Desktop into the server to use their application, yet
    still have the ability to print to their local HP OfficeJet printers.
    I'm finding out that Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services is not
    picking up their printers when logging into via Remote Desktop, and my
    attempts to add the appropriate drivers on the server have been less
    than successful.

    Based on my reasearch on the internet, it appears that HP does not
    produce drivers for "Server" based platforms for consumer level inkjet
    printers (Nevermind the "Office" part of the "OfficeJet" name). The
    store with the OfficeJet 7210 is running Windows XP Professional and
    the store with the OfficeJet 6210 is running Windows XP Home. Their
    respective pritners are installed locally and work just fine. How do I
    get these HP printers to cooperate with Terminal Services under Windows
    Server 2003?

    The client is also wanting to be able to access their application from
    home as well, and they have an DeskJet 450 & PSC 750 All-in-one
    printer.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thank you
    Daniel

    Daniel, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    If this helps, it only needs to print to the local printers. None of
    the additional features such as faxing, scanning, etc, are needed for
    this setup. If somebody happens to know of a another printer driver
    that will do the job, that would be a big help.

    Thank you
    Daniel

    Daniel, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Daniel

    Ben Myers Guest

    Daniel,

    Most HP inkjet printers use some variation of HP's Printer Control Language,
    which has evolved over the years. You should be able to install drivers from an
    earlier inkjet like the DeskJet 600c, and print successfully with the newer
    PSCs. I've done this under other versions of Windows. I suspect it will work
    just fine under Server 2003.

    It is very annoying that HP places some serious technical limitations on its
    products for its own marketing reasons, without any consideration of its
    customers. This all started before Carly, and the latest ruler, Hurd, seems
    not to want to fix it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Daniel

    craigm Guest

    If I understand correctly, you are running the application on the server
    that is remote from the user and want to use the local printers. Since you
    are using Remote Desktop the printers need to be visible to the Windows
    2003 box.

    I assume these are all on the same network. Is this correct? If so, I see
    two possibilities.

    1) Share out the printers from the local PCs and install them as remote
    printers as seen by the 2003 PC.

    2) Buy a JetDirect print server for the 6210 and put the printers on the
    network. (7210 has networking built in.) (You may not have the full
    functionality with the 6210 on the network.) This way, both printers may be
    seen by the 2003 Server.

    Refer to this link.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lc=en&product=391153&lang=en&docname=bpu04830

    Hope this helps.

    craigm

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lc=en&product=391153&lang=en&docname=bpu04830

    craigm, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I ended up adding a Deskjet 990C printer and mapping in to the USB port
    used by the original drivers and it worked for both of the Officejet
    printers. Obviously it won't have all the features of the proper
    drivers, but it will do plain old printing just fine. The only problem
    I had after that is their software had issue with the printer names
    being longer than 31 characters. Renaming the printers and computers
    did the trick and everything appears to be working just fine now.

    Thank you everybody.
    Daniel

    Daniel, May 1, 2006