    the problem is. Wnem I try to restart my PC there's nothing. So I unplug it
    from the wall and from my PC, then plug it back in and it's fine. Any
    suggestions?

    Donna J, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Donna J

    Just mee Guest

    This sounds to me like a bad power supply.. (It may well be something
    else, but failing power supply comes to mind)

    If it is a failing power supply, I would suggest you go to your local
    computer shop and purchase a universal mid tower case with power
    supply (probably 30 to 40 dollars), and simply move your HP components
    into the new case... Your computer will run cooler, and will no longer
    be underpowered...

    The HP power supplies are small, both physically and in the amount of
    power they provide.. HP does this as a cost reducing measure....
    Standard power supplies will not fit into the undersized HP case...

    YMMV.

    hth,
    JM

    Just mee, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Donna J

    notreallyme Guest

    Where's that computer store that sells cases with power supply at that
    price?
    Also, not everyone is capable of also moving the motherboard, etc. etc. you
    made it sound so simple. I agree that it is, but......

    notreallyme, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Donna J

    Just mee Guest

    I am in western Washington state, and I can think of any number of
    retail stores that sell decent bare cases with 300-350 watt ATX
    supplies in that range..

    I just bought one retail for $38.00 in change... Do not think "chain
    store" here... Find the local computer store, not a chain/department
    store...

    As for the actual swap out.... Even if the person is mechanically
    disinclined, and has to pay someone to perform the work, he/she will
    still be far ahead of paying for one of HP's vastly overpriced
    powersupplies.. remember, if the person cannot perform the swap, they
    probably cannot perform a straight power supply replacement either,
    and would have to hire it done...
    Let's face it, this swap is not rocket science.

    JM

    Just mee, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Donna J

    craigm Guest

    It could also be a buildup of dust in the computer.

    I'd look inside first for a simple solution.

    A failing fan could also be a possibility.

    craigm

    craigm, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Donna J

    Mark Bilger Guest

    It might not be that easy if HP has designed their motherboard to not fit
    the hole spacing of a standard ATX case (which would be typical). I'd bet
    they also don't use a standard I/O backplate and the one in the old system
    is permanently attached. I could be wrong, but a little investigation may be
    a good idea before you drop the money for a new case/supply that may not
    work. Good luck.

    E-vil

    Mark Bilger, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Donna J

    Ben Myers Guest

    The info on the HP web site gives every indication that the motherboard is a
    microATX board, which ought to fit nicely into a generic microATX or full ATX
    chassis.

    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/docume...dinfo&prodId=hppavilion77623&docName=bph07367

    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/docume...dinfo&prodId=hppavilion77623&docName=bph07028

    The motherboard is made by Trigem and it is their "Lomita" model. HP has tended
    more toward using standard form factors for motherboards in recent years. So
    has most of the industry, altho Dell is still something of a holdout with its
    variations including non-stanard metal plate attachments, smallish front panel
    connectors, etc on some of its systems.

    Still, before investing time, money and labor replacing the entire chassis, some
    additional cleanup would be in order. I would blast all the dust bunnies out of
    the case using a can of compressed air, with special attention to the processor
    cooling fan and the fan inside the power supply. If either of these is impeded
    by dust and dirt, the system does not receive adequate ventilation and it can
    shut down unexpectedly from overheating.

    The other side of the coin is that the power supplies in HP systems are
    underpowered usually with ratings of 90w or 145w at best. And they are cheaply
    made, as is much of the rest of many Pavilions. The Trigem motherboard
    indicates that the system was built by Trigem or Daewoo in South Korea. This is
    the same company that assembles the eMachines computers, not exactly a paragon
    of quality and reliability... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Donna J

    Idbbs01 Guest

    Where's that computer store that sells cases with power supply at that
    Theres thousands of sites ont the web that sell cases with ps for under 50
    bucks.

    Idbbs01, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Donna J

    Donna J Guest

    I would like to thank everyone for the ideas. I can be mechanically
    inclined if I have no other choice.Kind of runs in the family, if we can
    take it apart we remember how to put it back together.
    I went with the last suggestion first. I was able to take the side panel
    off and there are actually two fans inside. Strange they had a tiny fan at
    the end of the vent duct <is that what you call it>? But above the plastic
    vent duct is a bigger fan that is attached to the power supply and it seems
    to be blocked by that vent duct for the little fan. Not much room for
    circulation and lots and lots of dust. Do you think it's possible to place
    another hole at the top of that duct so it will have better ventilation?
    What do you think?

    Thanks a bunch,
    Donna J.

    Donna J, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Donna J

    Ben Myers Guest

    Donna,

    Just blast out the inside of the chassis with compressed air. From your
    description, it is highly likely that all the dust inside is impeding air flow.
    Unplug the system from the wall first.

    In theory, the major name brand manufacturers all spend some money to come up
    with an optimum solution for keeping a computer running cool. But with the
    cramped Pavilion case permitting less air movement, I have to wonder.

    If repeated blasts of compressed air dislodges all the dust and the computer
    shuts down after a couple hours anyway, you are on your way to replacing the
    power supply as the most likely culprit. As noted earlier, HP power supplies
    are cheaply made and provide fairly anemic power to the system.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 6, 2004
  11. Donna J

    Donna J Guest

    Thanks again, this only happens every couple days and I cleaned it really
    good this afternoon. Will see what happens by Monday. My husband has a nice
    air compressor and I have used it to clean other dirty projects with good
    results. Just not alot of pressure, for a PC and blow it away from
    surrounding parts. I don't plan on doing that unless it shuts down again.
    Will let you all know,

    thanks,
    Donna J

    Donna J, Feb 7, 2004
  12. Donna J

    superg Guest

    I owned this pc for 3 years now. I maxed out the ram. I was havin
    trouble with the power supply and it would barely open the cdwrite
    rom. I do not know why you would need an atx power supply as the at
    is not plugged in. I crammed a regular power supply in and installe
    windows 98 and got all the drivers from a different web site I foun
    from searching out the motherboard(lomita). I also installed a fan a
    the end of the duct from the already existing cooler fan on th
    processor and with the new power supply the fan is in the back wher
    it belongs. There is a place to plug in a fan next to where the ol
    fan for the power supply was plugged in. I blew out the dust yes an
    well it sings a new song. I would not recommend this machine fo
    gaming. I also changed the hard drive

    superg, Jul 3, 2006