HP Pavilion a712n - It will not POST (No video, No beeps, Solid HDDLed, k/b not responding)

Discussion in 'HP' started by Freddie, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    Hi guys/gals:
    I am a comp. tech here in NY and I have a customers PC with a
    rather strange issue.

    Issue: PC is not booting. It will not even POST. Monitor is blank/in
    stand-by. Hard Drives and Fans are all working. Hard Drive light is
    solid.

    The PC is a Pavilion a712n Desktop-PC. Pentium 4, IDE drives, 512mb
    ddr memory, 1 cdr 1 cd drive, only 1 PCI slot occupied with a modem.
    Here are some of the PC's symtoms when first turned on:
    - No Video (Monitor will not even switch off standby/light is yellow)
    - No POST Beeps at all.
    - All keyboard lights (num/caps/scroll) initially flash when powered
    on but thereafter no keys respond, not even caps or num.
    - Solid Hard Drive Light (No blinking at all, it's solid. The drive
    does spin up and go through it's initital startup/self-test? process
    (short series of clicking).
    - Green LED on Power Supply blinks once on startup (Apparently normal
    because I tested the PC with 2 other good PSUs.
    Here are some procedures I tried, all of which resulted in no change.
    No Beeps, POST. No Video. K/B Not Responding. (these may not be in
    order)

    [Video]
    - Tried other monitors.
    - Tried Adding a basic PCI video card and connecting the monitor
    through there.
    [Power]
    - Tried 2 other power supplies I had. 1 was HP, one was from a
    dell (but compatible)

    [Hard Drive/Other Drive]
    - Tried booting without the hard drive or any IDE devices.

    [Motherboard]
    - Checked and Reseated all cables for m/b, IDE drives, front
    connectors)
    - Reseated PCI card (modem), I tried without the card as well.
    - Stripped down the PC to the least components required to boot.
    - Tried it without memory, Tried it with new memory.
    - Tried replacing the cpu with the same exact CPU from my stock
    - Ensured heat sink was properly connected and used new thermal
    paste.
    - Cleaned/Dusted off entire motherboard and PSU (of course with
    power and clk. batt removed)
    - Tried removing the motherboard from the case and running it on
    non-conducting surface (no shorting)
    - No Visible Motherboard/IC Problems (Carefully inspected
    motherboard under worklight/magnifier to look for blown/leaking caps
    or solder bridges between pins.)

    I have come to the conclusion that the motherboard is blown but I
    would like your help/confirmation before I have the customer spend
    $200+ for a new HP board.

    I would greatly appreciate help from anyone with experiance on these
    systems. Also, if indeed it's the motherboard does anyone know of a
    replacement board non-oem that will fit in the HP case.

    Thank you so very much guys/gals!

    Freddie, Jan 21, 2008

  2. Freddie

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yep, sounds like the motherboard is hosed... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 21, 2008

  3. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    Thanks Ben -- I appreciate it. I would hate to have a customer spend
    $200 for a new OEM/HP motherboard if I am wrong. Would anyone know if
    there is a non-hp board that will fit in this hp case?
    - Fred

    Freddie, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Freddie

    Ben Myers Guest

    According to the HP web site, the motherboard is the MS-6577 v4 (Gamila 2), made
    by MicroStar (UGH!).

    The board has a very much standard mATX form factor, except it does have both
    internal and external Firewire connectors. If your client does not use
    Firewire, you would want to get a board with an Intel 845GV chipset and built-in
    Intel Extreme Graphics, to make it 1000% easier for Windows XP to boot up and
    run. Audio is Realtek ALC658 and Ethernet is a Realtek chip also. If you
    change the chipset, Windows will complain bitterly and probably not boot at all,
    even in safe mode. You may still have to re-authenticate (or whatever that
    stupid word is) Windows via the Microsoft web site. Use Keyfinder to change
    the product key first, to match the sticker on the side of the computer.

    You should be able to find a good quality 845GV chipset board for maybe $50 max
    on eBay or from one of the many sellers of older motherboards... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 22, 2008
  5. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    Wow! I was expecting a "no it won't work". Not only did you give me
    the answer both myself and my customer wanted to hear, but you went in
    to much detail and saved me hours of my time. Otherwise, my next plan
    involved going to a computer store to fit motherboards and see which
    might work, then reloading everything (not expecting chipset drivers
    to be alike). I initially thought it looked like a regular micro atx
    too but then on the internet a few people posted only hp motherboards
    would fit in hp cases, thanks for the clarification. As for firewire,
    no they are not using the firewire, just the USB, ethernet, ps2 kb/
    mouse, monitor and I believe that's it.

    Thank you very very much!
    If there is anything I can do for you, e-mail me
    busywithbiz @ gmail .com

    Freddie, Jan 22, 2008
  6. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    Hi Ben
    Quick question, I found a similar board but it says for "Willamette
    and Northwood, 1.4 to 2.8 GHz and higher", would that be compatible
    with this computers (pavilion a712n) p4 processor?

    Thanks!

    -Fred

    Freddie, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    found it -- I apologize!

    Freddie, Jan 24, 2008
  8. Freddie

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes. IIRC, your system has a Socket 478 Celeron, well-suited for a great many
    older Socket 478 boards... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 24, 2008
  9. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    Thanks Ben -- For some reason I thought it was a P4!

    Freddie, Jan 25, 2008
  10. Freddie

    craigm Guest

    Most of your questions could have been answered by looking on the HP
    website. I suggest you do so.

    craigm, Jan 25, 2008
  11. Freddie

    Ben Myers Guest

    Fred,

    I do not know whether or not to say "my bad". The HP web site, never a marvel
    of clarity says:

    Pentium4 (N) 2.8 GHz:
    400 MHz Front side bus
    Socket 478

    As far as I know, Pentium 4's were never made in 2.8GHz speeds with 400 (!!!)
    MHz FSB. What is a "Pentium4 (N)" anyway? I think HP screwed up. If the
    processor really is a Pentium 4, its front side bus speed is 533MHz. If the
    processor is a Celeron, its front side bus speed is 400MHz. The HP motherboard
    supports both with the 845GV chipset. The system ships with PC2700 memory,
    supporting both bus speeds.

    So much for consulting the HP web site for "everything" you want to know about
    the A712N. Go figure.

    Make sure that your replacement motherboard has an 845GV chipset for best
    results... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 25, 2008