HP Pavilion m7470n shutdown/restart

Discussion in 'HP' started by Brian, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Bought a Pavilion m7470n a month ago and practically since plugging it in,
    it spontaneously shuts down/restarts. It almost always happens when using
    the mouse (especially dragging)

    Upon restarting, it automatically sends a message to Microsoft stating that
    a Stop Error occurred which the OS could not recover

    from-- due to an unknown device or driver.

    I am fairly certain that the problem is not drivers for the Linksys USB
    wireless adapter, or Canon Pixma MP780 printer, or Samsung SyncMaster 204B
    monitor.

    Lately, I've been getting messages from MS that this problem is due to the
    video device driver. (the video card is an onboard ATI Radeon Express 200)

    The proposed solutions are:

    1.) update the device driver, or,

    2.) click off the Enable Write Combining box and turn off Hardware
    Acceleration in the Display/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshooting window.

    When I try to make any changes in the hardware acceleration settings, the
    system shuts down immediately.

    Has anyone out there experienced this problem, and if so, any suggestions?

    There are other problems as well:

    * Rhapsody songs skip about 50% of the way through.

    * The Media Center DVD player and TV viewer won't work properly.

    * It also is also constantly accessing the hard drive every 2 seconds (the
    HD light blinks with the crackling access noise).

    One HP tech thought that the OS or Media Center may have become corrupted.

    It looks as if I may have to reformat the drive or even ship the box back to
    HP.

    Any suggestions/solutions would be appreciated.

    Brian

    Brian, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Brian

    ASAAR Guest

    Mine arrived only 3 days ago so my experience with it isn't
    extensive, but I've seen no problems, other than with the utility
    that creates system recovery DVDs. The entire window contents
    weren't visible, possibly because the program assumed that the
    monitor's resolution would have been lower. But it worked
    eventually, and without any errors or error messages.

    I haven't tried any of that software yet, but the computer is
    extremely quiet, and there has been no unusual disk activity.

    It's possible, but it seems like a "grasping for straws" opinion,
    and from the tech's point of view, better that than a hardware
    problem that HP might have to deal with.

    If you haven't yet created the recovery DVDs and recovery tools
    disk, do so immediately. It might help to first switch the monitor
    to a generic setting, eliminating the driver for the onboard ATI
    chips. If you can reformat and reinstall the original setup and the
    problems disappear, then the odds are very good that you don't have
    some kind of hardware problem, and you can then start reinstalling
    drivers and software. But do it slowly, one at a time, with testing
    after each addition (maybe for a day or two), so that if problems
    reoccur, you'll know which one is likely to have caused the problem.

    If you can't reinstall the OS, either the recovery DVDs weren't
    created successfully (but there was extensive verification during
    the creation of them, so they should be good) or there's a hardware
    problem. In either of these two cases you'd be advised to return
    the computer to HP. Before doing that, I'd first try fiddling with
    the DDR memory. Just remove and reseat the memory in their sockets.
    Sometimes just jiggling them slightly without completely removing
    them would be enough to improve the contact. One nice thing about
    the m7470n was that even though the store salesmen obviously didn't
    know what they were talking about, they said that the 2GB of the
    computer's memory completely filled the m7470n's 4 sockets. But it
    turned out that two 1GB DDRs were used, so if I ever want to upgrade
    to 4GB, I won't have to throw out or try to sell the original 2GB.

    BTW, if you don't want to reformat/reinstall, try to find another
    OS that you can't boot from to test the computer's basic hardware.
    It may not test all of it, but if it fails, it's would be a further
    confirmation of hardware, rather than a software or driver failure.
    As the computer has no floppies, forget about digging up an old DOS
    boot disk. But there are other bootable OS's, such as the Knoppix
    version of Linux, which supposedly installs nothing on the hard
    drive and boots competely from the CD/DVD. I've seen them
    occasionally bundled with the odd Linux magazine, the last time
    being a couple of months ago in the magazine section of a local
    Borders bookstore.

    ASAAR, Jul 8, 2006