HP Pavilion N5000, Omnibook XE3 series internal slim dvd burner upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Banister Stairwell, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. I posted a similar question earlier, but I still don't know what I should
    do.

    I have an older (about 4 to 5 years old) HP Pavilion N5310. This laptop is
    very similar to the HP Omnibook XE3 series. I would like to upgrade the
    existing CD/DVD-ROM drive with an internal DVD burner.

    Does the optical drive in this particular laptop operate as a master off the
    secondary IDE channel, or a slave off the primary channel? I've heard that
    slim optical drives don't have jumpers and cannot be configured one way or
    the other by the end user. Is this correct?

    Has anyone had any success in upgrading the existing CD/DVD-ROM drive in
    either an HP Pavilion N5000 series or an HP Omnibook XE3 series?

    Also, is there a standard mounting for the faceplates on these slim drives?
    I can remove the faceplate on the existing drive with no problem, but I'm
    not sure it will fit a new drive. The dimensions of the drive opening seem
    to be right to accept a new slim drive, but I'd like to use the original HP
    faceplate if I can.

    Hope this all makes sense.

    Thank you in advance.

    Banister Stairwell, Nov 13, 2005