HP Procurve 740wl owners be aware!!!! (or is that afraid ?)

Discussion in 'HP' started by obes.au@gmail.com, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. Guest

    The HP Procurve 740wl has a relatively low end HDD in it storing
    everything, not a big deal in its self. EXCEPT, HP will not replace
    the HDD, HP's only solution is to replace the whole unit. At a cost
    well over 4 grand. The HDD is a 30G Maxtor Fireball, ie. a cheap part
    that would cost less then 100. And that is the only problem we have
    had.

    While I can not test it. I would imagine cloning the HDD as precaution
    in case of a failure would save you several thousand dollars.

    RAW mode Ghost would probably do the trick. As would using the "dd"
    command on a linux box.
    eg. dd if=/dev/source of=/dev/destination

    That said they may have some funky HDD serial based encryption going
    on.

    (Also the 740 is only covered by a 12 month warranty).

    This probably also applies to HP Procurve 760wl, I am unsure if this
    is also the case with the HP Procurve 745wl.

    , Aug 24, 2007