HP PSC 750xi "Incorrect black cartridge" error

Discussion in 'HP' started by Steve Lockridge, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. I've read a lot of the posts concerning HP printers and the "incorrect
    cartridge" error. Many of them discuss software issues. I can assure
    you, my problem is not a software issue.

    My HP PSC 750xi is a standalone unit. It is not even connected to a
    computer. However, after installing a new black cartridge, I am
    getting the "Incorrect black cartridge" error.

    I have tried everything to fix it except to buy another new cartridge
    which I plan to do tomorrow.

    The black cartridge that was originally in there did not seem that
    old. It was printing fine and then suddenly said the black ink was
    low. That was it. One page of light print and it was gone. I used
    the cleaning utility and that did not help. I aligned the cartridges
    and that did not help. I bought a new black cartridge and that did
    not help. I cleaned the new cartridge and contacts and that did not
    help.

    So my error is definitely not software related. Any suggestions would
    be helpful since HP's suggestions did not fix the problem. Thanks.

    Steve Lockridge, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Steve Lockridge

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "Steve Lockridge" <> wrote in message
    > I've read a lot of the posts concerning HP printers and the "incorrect
    > cartridge" error. Many of them discuss software issues. I can assure
    > you, my problem is not a software issue.
    >
    > My HP PSC 750xi is a standalone unit. It is not even connected to a
    > computer. However, after installing a new black cartridge, I am
    > getting the "Incorrect black cartridge" error.

    Two things to check - first make sure you are using a #15 cartridge, not the
    similar-looking #45. You should also clean the electrical contacts (not the
    nozzles) as shown at the following:
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpa02060.html

    Regards,

    Bob Headrick, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Steve Lockridge wrote:

    > I've read a lot of the posts concerning HP printers and the "incorrect
    > cartridge" error. Many of them discuss software issues. I can assure
    > you, my problem is not a software issue.
    >
    > My HP PSC 750xi is a standalone unit. It is not even connected to a
    > computer. However, after installing a new black cartridge, I am
    > getting the "Incorrect black cartridge" error.
    >
    > I have tried everything to fix it except to buy another new cartridge
    > which I plan to do tomorrow.
    >
    > The black cartridge that was originally in there did not seem that
    > old. It was printing fine and then suddenly said the black ink was
    > low. That was it. One page of light print and it was gone. I used
    > the cleaning utility and that did not help. I aligned the cartridges
    > and that did not help. I bought a new black cartridge and that did
    > not help. I cleaned the new cartridge and contacts and that did not
    > help.
    >
    > So my error is definitely not software related. Any suggestions would
    > be helpful since HP's suggestions did not fix the problem. Thanks.

    Carefully check the contacts in the printer that should contact the inkcartridges.

    I don't know if you use official HP products or refilled stuff. On those I see a
    single mising (removed) contact (both color and black ink). With those
    cartridges, my psc-750 also complains about incorrect ink. I ignore this message
    as long as prints look reasonable.

    For printing series of foto's, I switch to official HP-s, for day-to-day use, I
    use refills.

    CBee

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Corn=E9_Beerse?=, Dec 15, 2003