    I notice (if I pay attention to the screen) that on boot-up I have the
    option of going to BIOS or the HP recovery console. If I already
    have the recovery cd's, what does the HP recovery console do?

    Bogey, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Bogey

    Mike Daniel Guest

    The recovery console restores your system from a hidden partition on the
    hard disk. Its faster than using the CD's. The CD's are in case your
    hard drive fails, taking the recovery partiton with it, or your
    partition table gets corrupted or anything else that makes that hidden
    partition inaccessable.

    Mike

    Mike Daniel, Aug 24, 2003

  3. Bogey

    Bogey Guest

    Well, the "hidden partition" is easily found. And, my manual that came with
    the Hp
    even suggests that once you have your recovery CD's that you can delete the
    partition
    and use that 5 gig space. Actually, I used partition magic to recover the 5
    gigs with
    no difficulty.
    Only 'problem" I had was that there is a flaw in the software that comes
    with some or all
    of the new HP's that don't allow you to complete the 1st cd of the recovery
    series. A call
    to the tech people will get you the 6 cd's needed for your PC.

    And what would happen if your hard drive failed? No more hidden partition.
    It's best to have
    those cd's.

    Bogey, Aug 24, 2003
  4. Bogey

    Euc1id Guest

    I recovered a new Compaq recently with the recovery CDs that I'd made, did a
    complete reformat, and it worked. But I didn't keep the machine, returned it
    for a different reason.

    My problem now with a different new machine is that I have a "lame duck" in
    my set of 6 recovery disks. I started burning the set with some old 16x
    CD-Rs, and it wrote the first one OK. Then it started spitting out surface
    verification errors, and I wasted 3 CD-Rs before I figured out that it might
    be the kind/brand. So I had to switch to some newer 48x CD-Rs to complete
    the process. Thus my first recovery CD is a "lame duck" on a
    several-year-old out-of-date brand/type. Although it verified, I don't trust
    it. Do you think they would send me a set of recovery CDs for that reason?
    Or, what're the "magic" words?

    I like the recovery partition, but definitely must have a reliable set of
    system recovery CDs. I've had too many hard drives fail in the past. Then
    you absolutely must have them, and you've gotta get em before the warranty
    expires.
    Euc1id

    Euc1id, Aug 26, 2003
  5. Bogey

    craigm Guest

    How about just making a copy of the offending CD with your cd burner?

    craigm, Aug 27, 2003