    It is a HP Scanjet 2400.

    WBR
    Sonnich

    Sonnich Jensen, Feb 24, 2012

  2. Sonnich Jensen

    isw Guest

    It looks like the signal from the "blue" sensor is intermittent --
    except for that stripe halfway down, it's not getting through. This is
    probably due to a loose connector, a broken wire or failed solder joint,
    but possibly something else. In any case, the break is inside the
    scanner, very possibly in or around the flexible cable that connects to
    the traveling scan head.

    If you can get the scanner apart, a close visual inspection might
    indicate how it could be fixed.

    Isaac

    isw, Feb 24, 2012

  3. I just found that. I can see that the cable i used, hence every 1,5 cm
    it seems to be broken - and there truely is one broken connection.
    I will try with a single wire, solder it on both ends.
    But are such cables available?
    Or should I take an old HD flat cable and older that on?

    Sonnich

    Sonnich Jensen, Feb 24, 2012
  4. My scanner now has an additional wire and works well.

    The wire moves behind the head, and does not get stuck. Maybe not the
    best option, but it does the trick

    Sonnich

    Sonnich Jensen, Feb 24, 2012
  5. Sonnich Jensen

    Paul Guest

    The cable could be made of Kapton (Polyimide), and designed to be
    flexed over and over again. You'd want to look for "flex cable",
    rather than regular ribbon cable. The solid wires in regular ribbon cable
    would snap after a relatively small number of flexure cycles.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible_electronics

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible_flat_cable

    The cables can be affixed by compression. Some people at work
    tried soldering to make repairs, but the results were a mess.
    Those cables only work well, with their "native" attach method
    (the connector provided with the cabling). Home repair is more
    difficult.

    http://www.molex.com/molex/products/group?key=ffc_fpc_connectors&channel=PRODUCTS

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 24, 2012
  6. Makes me wonder do ordinary electronics shops sell those?
    At some point a selection of those would meet most peoples need. I
    will try the 2 local dealers (Elfa and another)

    Sonnich

    Sonnich Jensen, Feb 24, 2012
  7. Sonnich Jensen

    alexstone