HP support incompetence

Discussion in 'HP' started by Reverse first and last names, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. I hope someone here can give me some guidance and maybe a phone number
    of someone at HP who will accept a complaint about their support
    department.

    On June 6, 2005 I purchased a PSC-1610 printer. Because of a bug in
    the installation software, it took almost 3 weeks for me to get the
    printer installed. I worked with HP support and they can verify the
    problem. Finally, I resolved the problem on my own and notified HP of
    the solution.

    My daughter is using the printer at college. In about March or April
    the rollers started squeaking and binding up. Finally she could no
    longer use the printer. She didn't tell me about the problem until she
    came home from college the middle of May.

    About the end of May I started trying to use the HP website to
    diagnose and fix the problem. On several occasions I tried to use the
    HP Tech support chat function or the email function to resolve the
    problem, but I kept getting error messages saying the services weren't
    available.

    Finally, on June 10, 2006, I got an email sent to tech support which
    they acknowledged. I admit that I did not remember the actual purchase
    date and let it get past me, but I had been trying on the website for
    almost 2 weeks while the unit was still in warranty.

    The first 4 times HP responded, they TOTALLY missed the point of my
    question and responded with something unrelated. For a while, I
    thought I was getting a robot responder that was looking at keywords
    in my message.

    Finally they realized the problem was mechanical and needed to go into
    the shop. I thought that the unit would be repaired in warranty, but
    HP claimed the unit was now out of warranty. I protested and finally
    they told me to send a "proof of purchase" to them, which I did almost
    a week ago.

    When I tried to find the status of my claim, I was told to contact the
    telephone support department. I did this and was told that I should
    have contacted them in the first place and now they would not help me.

    I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was connected to an idiot named
    "Solomon", of all things. He told me that HP couldn't help me, since I
    had not called telephone support initially. He blamed me for following
    HPs online recommendations. He would not give me the name of anyone
    higher up to talk to.

    I feel this is a total miscarriage of customer service. I can document
    that the unit failed before I had 12 months use of it, and in reality
    the unit lasted only about 9 months before failing. I feel I tried to
    follow HP's guidelines and services for support and now am being
    penalized for using the online support instead of phone support. This
    REALLY pisses me off.

    Does anyone know of a customer service or technical support person at
    HP that I can complain to? Just going through their technical support
    department gets me some mindless automaton repeating "your unit is not
    in warranty". I don't feel I am asking for anything unfairly.

    As you can see from my email address, you need to put my first name
    first and my last name last in the address (to foil the spammers).

    Thank you for your assistance.

    Jay Shilstone

    Reverse first and last names, Jul 26, 2006

  2. Reverse first and last names

    Jez T Guest

    Yes. What country do you live in???

    Jez T, Jul 26, 2006

  3. Sorry about that. I'm in the U.S.

    Thanks,
    Jay

    Reverse first and last names, Jul 27, 2006
  4. Reverse first and last names

    Jez T Guest

    No - sorry don't know anyone in the US.

    Place a call to HP support - say you would like to log a complain, log a
    call, and ask for it to be transferred to the customer complaints
    department.

    Ring twise a day with the case number for an update, and you'll get through
    to someone who can make things happen soon enough.

    Jez T, Aug 5, 2006
  5. Finally, two weeks after I submitted my proof of purchase and with no
    response to my 2 requests for the status of my request, a shiny new
    printer showed up on my doorstep. Two different reps called while I
    was out of the office to let me know the printer was coming. I still
    need to return the old printer to them and just received a prepaid
    Fedex label today.

    I am very happy with the way things turned out, but I am obviously
    unhappy with what I had to go through to make it happen. I have used
    and recommended HP equipment a great deal in the past. I still want to
    talk with someone and make certain they understand what I went
    through, because I think this represents a breakdown in the HP support
    process that they ought to address.

    Thanks for your response.

    Jay

    Reverse first and last names, Aug 7, 2006