HP TC4400 laptop - no MBR

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ps56k, Oct 21, 2013.

  1. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    My wife's sister has an old HP TC4400 laptop -
    a laptop with swivel screen that can act as a tablet.
    It doesn't boot - and shows the bootup screen - No System Disk Found

    It appears to have a HDD and it tests ok via the BIOS.
    There is no CD drive avail inside the laptop,
    and I don't have an external one to even try.

    SO - I'm going to take the HD out,
    take a look, put it back in - try again.

    If it still doesn't boot -
    then I need to get a cheap USB <--> SATA cable
    - connect the drive to my laptop or their other desktop
    - see if the disk is really ok, contents ok,
    - somehow is really missing it's MBR -

    If so -
    HOW can I get a new MBR created using a USB cabled drive ??
    I've only done it with a local drive...

    ps56k, Oct 21, 2013

  2. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    well, went and picked up a cheapy USB 2.5" SATA box
    and installed the drive -
    Connected to my laptop,
    It powers up, and is recognized and installed as it's disk model number in
    Device Manager.
    However, using XP Disk Management, it shows as un-alloc...
    So, tried to initialize and it will not take - nothing happens -

    guess it's dead -

    ps56k, Oct 21, 2013