http download trouble

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveC, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    I tried downloading pdf files from this web page but all arrive corrupt:

    <http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/reference/manuals/public/epson>

    I've tried about 20 different pdf files from this page using 5 different
    browsers. When the file arrives, Acrobat reader and Preview say that it is an
    unknown format or is corrupt.

    Can anyone else download and open any of these files, successfully? If so,
    I'm interested in this file : -)

    <http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/i/m/pdf/Epson Stylus Color 900 Servi
    ce%20Manual.pdf>

    Thanks,

    DaveC
    dave-univ1234 at mailblocks dot com

    DaveC, Feb 11, 2005

  2. DaveC

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Incomplete download; the file length is 3403006 bytes.

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 11, 2005

  3. DaveC

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    It is a problem at their end -- their bandwidth is sucky, and the
    connection terminates prematurely.
    That's not the problem with these PDF files.

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 11, 2005
  4. DaveC

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 11, 2005
  5. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Here's a link to the file that you want Bev,
    So kind of you to lend a helping hand to land that fish that resisted my
    efforts.

    What utility did you use to grapple it home?

    Thanks so much.

    Dave

    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC, Feb 11, 2005
  6. DaveC

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    wget. If you don't want to install Fink, you can download a
    binary I compiled several months ago here:
    <ftp://ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu/pub/macosx/wget/>

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 12, 2005
  7. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Very nice little "pit-bull" of a utility. Won't give up until it's dragged
    your file home.

    DaveC, Feb 12, 2005
  8. DaveC

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    A similar utility (curl) is included with OS X. I'm more comfortable
    with the command line options (and syntax) of wget so that's what I use.

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 12, 2005
  9. DaveC

    Tim Murray Guest

    I got it using Speed Download 2, a commercial utility. While it downloaded,
    it stopped/restarted a number of times.

    Tim Murray, Feb 12, 2005
  10. Can curl be told to auto-resume a download, like wget does? It's got a
    --continue-at option, but it looks like you'd have to keep telling it
    where to restart the download.

    Tom Harrington, Feb 12, 2005
  11. DaveC

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    I don't believe so. However, there is a Perl wrapper available that
    specifically permits auto-resume-downloadds with curl. Here's the
    URL for it: <http://curl.haxx.se/programs/download.txt>

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 12, 2005
  12. DaveC

    tim lindner Guest

    When curl gives up, retry with the following command:

    curl -C - -O http://www.site.com/File/I/Want.pdf

    That command tells curl to save the file from where it left off. When/If
    it fails again, retype the command again.

    tim lindner, Feb 12, 2005
  13. DaveC

    tim lindner Guest

    It sure sounds like wget is the more user friendly program. I just
    wanted to point out curl had a simular option.

    tim lindner, Feb 13, 2005
  14. DaveC

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    My sentiments exactly.
    There are wrappers available for curl that permit auto-resume-downloads
    _without_ retyping. Here's a link to one of them:

    Bev A. Kupf, Feb 13, 2005