Huge difference in CPU temp reporting between MBM5 and Asus PC Probe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jack White, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. Jack White

    Jack White Guest

    I have a new A8V Deluxe with A64 3500+ running stock speeds/fan/hs.
    Nothing fancy. For the heck of it I ran MBM5. I chose the only Asus A8V
    mobo from the list, the Deluxe Wireless Edition. I don't have the wireless
    feature but I assumed it was all the same sensors.

    MBM5 reports my CPU temp as between 18 and 24C depending on what I am
    doing. That seemed ridiculously low so I became suspicious. MBM5 uses
    winbond 1 for CPU temp. Whatever the heck that means.

    Anyway, I installed Asus' PC Probe to compare. It reports the CPU temp
    between 40 and 50 depending on what I am doing. HUGE difference. I don't
    know what sensor Asus PC Probe uses but I'm sure it's the RIGHT one. I
    started farting around with MBM5's settings and found that if I told it to
    use winbond 2 for the CPU temp it matched exactly with Asus PC Probe.

    So, unless someone knows something I don't know, don't rely on MBM5 with
    the Asus A8V. I think it's wrong.

    Jack White, Feb 24, 2005

  2. I don't have MBM5 installed, but can you configure it for the A8V's sensors?
    If you cannot, try SpeedFan, which (in its latest version) auto-configured
    itself to read my A8V's sensors correctly.

    Peter van der Goes, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Jack White

    BobS Guest

    Winbond 1 is the case sensor, and Winbond 2 is for the CPU. My A8V with A64
    3500 winchester runs 25C for the case, and 38 degrees C or so for the CPU

    Bob

    BobS, Feb 25, 2005