I can see my gun, but everything else is garbled

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Evil Uncle Chris, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Help needed please!

    Just done a fresh install of XP home and installed my Ti 4200 card, which
    was working great until now, on a new Jetway motherboard, P4 2.2.

    When I start up UT 2004, the menus are all garbled, even the Nvidia spinning
    logo thing at the start of the game is garbled, and flickering and flashing.
    Quake 3 is exactly the same. Haven't installed anything else yet.

    The weird thing is, if I proceed to the actual game, and run it, my gun is
    in perfect view, whilst the surrounding areas are garbled and flashing.

    I have tried the 56.72 drivers, and went back to 53.something and it's the
    same.

    So, has this happened to anyone else, and is there an easy fix, as I really
    want to get going again.

    Thanks in advance

    Chris

    Evil Uncle Chris, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Evil Uncle Chris

    Blainer Guest

    Try the 45.23 drivers, or 44.03. Not sure if nVidia's site will have them,
    but guru3d.com probably does. I'm still using the 45.23 drivers with my
    ti4600 because they work perfectly.

    Blainer, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Evil Uncle Chris

    DaveW Guest

    Try using the 45.23 driver with that non-FX card.

    DaveW, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Evil Uncle Chris

    Dark Avenger Guest

    Try 4x.x series...

    The 5x series have proven themself INCOMPATIBLE with the GF4 series!

    Dark Avenger, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Evil Uncle Chris

    John Lewis Guest

    Untrue. Although reports on graphics performance indicate that the new

    drivers give minimal performance boost to GF4 series. The extra bells
    and whistles are rather nice however.

    Any problems experienced with the upgrade from 4x.xx to 5x.xx are
    usually due to junk left over from the old drivers.

    Use Driver Cleaner to remove the junk and re-install your
    choice of driver.

    Next time go to VGA mode (XP) or Safe Mode (XP or win9x)
    and uninstall the old driver, then reboot BEFORE installing the
    new driver. Create a System Restore point before the operation
    in case of any 'accidents'.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 7, 2004
  6. Evil Uncle Chris

    Nada Guest

    Your header wins "the most porn-related graphics card header of the year award".

    Nada, Apr 7, 2004
  7. Read the Release Notes PDF at
    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/..._55_Graphics_Drivers_Release_Notes_v56.72.pdf -
    there are a number fixes for GF4MX and GF4Ti series cards (and even the
    GF2Ti series!). And the 56.72 drivers are running great on my Ti4200 (AGP 4x
    model). All the games I'm playing are running great. I also don't overclock
    my cards. The drivers are not proven incompatible - they just appear to be
    incompatible for some people, possibly because they are clocking their cards
    to the limits or beyond, or they have other drivers/hardware that is causing
    stability issues. Ever since I got rid of my Creative sound card I've not
    had a single BSoD, and looking at a lot of posts from people with problems a
    large proportion seem to have Audigy or other CL cards.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Apr 7, 2004
  8. Evil Uncle Chris

    torr Guest

    Try 4x.x series...
    I have no problems here with drivers 53.03 or 56.64 on gf4mx440 , gf3ti200
    or gf4ti200 in 3 different comps. all benchmarks and games perform equally
    as well as the 4x.x version drivers .

    Blainer, what version of direct x r u running ?

    torr

    torr, Apr 7, 2004
  9. Evil Uncle Chris

    Leon Smith Guest

    This just isn't true, i've kept up to date with all the driver upgrades on
    my LeakTek Ti4200 and with the current 56.72 drivers, things continue to run
    just fine.

    Leon Smith, Apr 7, 2004
  10. Evil Uncle Chris

    Blainer Guest

    I'm running 9b, but I wasn't the one with the problem. I just haven't
    updated drivers to the 5x series, because I've had no problems at all with
    the ones I'm running now.

    Blainer, Apr 7, 2004
  11. award".

    Thanks for the award. Gotta be best at something I suppose. Tried all of the
    above suggestions, and still the same.

    I know nothing about motherboards, and how to change drivers, but it has a
    VIA chipset, whatever that does, so could that be anything to do with it?

    Or is the graphics card just buggered?

    Hope not, as it's less than six months old, but I suppose, still under
    warranty.

    Thanks for all of the suggestions so far

    Chris

    Evil Uncle Chris, Apr 7, 2004
  12. Evil Uncle Chris

    John Lewis Guest

    The Via MB chipset is a well-known source of AGP problems.

    Have you downloaded and installed the latest MB driver from your
    motherboard website ?

    And if your MB is no longer supported, think hard about dumping it
    and going with a nForce2.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Apr 7, 2004