I changed the bios settings, Now the computer will not boot :-(

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Si, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Si

    Si Guest

    I changed the bios setting on my computer and now it will not boot the
    monitor don't even start up.

    my system is:
    Processor : AMD Athlon XP3000+
    Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition
    Memory : 512Mb DDR RAM
    Hard Disk : 160Gb 7200rpm Hard Disk
    16x DVD-ROM
    Display : 5x USB
    Graphics : 256Mb ATI Radeon 9200SE
    Modem : 56K modem
    Firewire : 2x IEEE1394 Firewire ports
    Sound : 6 Channel Home Cinema Audio for 5.1 Sound
    Keyboard etc. : Multi-media keyboard
    Ports etc. : Standard Serial and Parallel

    Could someone please help me correct the bios.

    In the bios i changed the cpu speed to 333 and turned the cpu overheat
    detection on and now when i turn the pc on it makes the normal noises i.e
    fans are on but the hard drive isnt getting read and the monitor stays off.

    Hope someone can help.
    Regards
    Simon

    Si, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Si

    rstlne Guest

    Are the Speakers Connected to the onboard sound&turned on..
    they should give a report of the failure..

    Did you try resetting the bios..

    rstlne, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Si

    Si Guest

    speakers are connected but i get no sound from them.

    I can't get back into the bios cause the monitor don't start up.

    Si, Feb 20, 2004
  4. Si

    Moods Guest

    Si gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
    Reset your bios ?

    Moods, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Si

    Rick Guest

    You missed the only important spec, what kind of mainboard do you have?

    Generic solution is to "clear the CMOS" and start again. The manual that
    came with your mainboard will tell you exactly how to do it. With some
    mainboard/BIOS's, you can hold down the "insert" key while booting and the
    system will start up with the default settings.

    bye, Rick

    Rick, Feb 20, 2004
  6. Si

    Mickey Guest

    There is jumper built into the mother board that will reset your bios. Look
    in the manual or on the board for a jumper usually near the battery.
    Sometimes it is referred to as the cmos jumper.

    Mickey, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Si

    Si Guest

    Thanks for your help.
    I can only see this marking on the motherboard MS-6775 VER:100
    The pc is a time brand.

    Right i should have enough info now but just one more Q, Can i hurt the pc
    if i put the jumpers on the wrong pins?

    Regards
    Simon

    Si, Feb 20, 2004
  8. Si

    ICee Guest

    See if it's similar to this, and of so, download the manual for it. It
    seems to be a version of the KT6:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=474

    ICee, Feb 20, 2004
  9. Check your mainboard manual. You should be able to reset the bios by
    opening the case an moving a jumper.

    HTH,
    Art

    Art Wakefield, Feb 20, 2004
  10. there should be a 2 pin open jumper....put a jumper on that....reset cmos
    and voila....it will automatically set fsb to 100 and allow you to boot

    Robert Jackson Marley, Feb 21, 2004
  11. Si

    Si Guest

    I moved the jumper to clear cmos but the pc wont power up while the jumper
    is in the clear cmos mode so i removed the button battery for 20mins. hope
    it works.

    Si, Feb 21, 2004
  12. Si

    Rick Guest

    Hello:

    It is very unlikely that you could hurt a mainboard by placing jumpers on
    open pins if you do not apply power. If you are trying to clear the BIOS,
    and think you have found the appropriate pair of pins, remove the power,
    including unplugging the power supply from the wall, short the pins and wait
    a minute. Remove the jumper and try starting the computer up.

    bye, Rick

    P.S. It seems like "ICee" may be correct and you have an OEM version of an
    MSI mainboard.

    Rick, Feb 21, 2004
  13. you must go to reset position, then a second later back to normal position.

    Robert Jackson Marley, Feb 21, 2004
  14. Si

    rstlne Guest

    wow.. dont do that again!!!
    Clearing cmos
    = Unplug power (or turn the switch off at the back of the pc if there is
    one) + remove battery (everything doesnt need thsi but it doesnt hurt) +
    move jumper.. it should clear instantly..
    Are there diagnostic lights inside your pc.. 4 led's that are either
    green/red
    ?

    rstlne, Feb 21, 2004
  15. Si

    Si Guest

    I did as you said and unpluged the power then put the jumper on pins' 2 and
    3 to clear cmos then put the jumper back to normal position on pins' 1 and
    2.
    I had the cpu speed jumpers set to 166Mhz but it still don't work so i
    repeated
    the procedure for 100Mhz, 133Mhz and 200Mhz but its just the same result
    what ever setting i use.

    When i power up the pc it sounds ok fans all work but it only reads from the
    HD for about 1sec then nothing happens also the floppy drive isn't being
    read and the keyboard,s led for the caps lock don't light up so the keyboard
    don't interact with the pc.

    What a mess ive got into just for playing with some settings in the bios :-(

    Si, Feb 21, 2004
  16. Si

    Si Guest

    I don't seem to have any led.s in the pc or on the motherboard.

    Si, Feb 21, 2004
  17. Si

    Si Guest

    i just found this on the msi site.

    "System will have no display when user change the "MEMORY TIMING" option in
    the BIOS, from NORMAL to FAST or ULTRA. The selection in the BIOS is for
    over-clocking only. But some memories can't be over-clocked and caused the
    compatibility issue."

    I remember changing it so this is more than likely my prob

    Anyone know how to get around this?

    Regards
    Simon

    Si, Feb 21, 2004
  18. Si

    Rick Guest

    Hi:

    It sounds like you're still not getting the CMOS cleared, so here is what I
    suggest.

    1) Remove the power,
    2) Remove the CMOS battery (don't break the socket),
    3) Set the jumper to "clear CMOS", and
    4) Wait at least 1 hour.

    If there is a problem with a setting in your BIOS, clearing it as stated
    above will remove the erroneous setting. Usually The BIOS will clear in just
    a minute or two, but you've got nothing to lose, so try it for the full
    hour. Then...

    1) Remove your video card from the AGP slot,
    2) Put the video card back in securely,
    3) Make sure your monitor cable is fully connected,
    4) Replace the jumper into it's proper location,
    5) Reinstall the CMOS battery,
    6) Connect the power again,
    7) Upon start-up, if you get a display, enter the BIOS,
    8) Choose the "restore defaults" option, and
    9) Save and exit the BIOS.

    If this does not solve your problem, you have something more wrong than just
    BIOS settings (such as the video card not being seated properly which I
    mentioned how to correct above).

    bye, Rick

    Rick, Feb 21, 2004
  19. Si

    ICee Guest

    Change the timings back to where they were.

    ICee, Feb 21, 2004
  20. Si

    Si Guest

    Ive put all the jumper back to where they were, if i could get the display
    working i could go back into the bios and tidy things up.

    Si, Feb 21, 2004