I done a stoopid thing... (Trashed my KV8?)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Malcolm Street, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. Got the bits for my new Athlon 64 2800-powered beast yesterday, including
    and Abit KV8 Pro mb, RTFM'd, put it together, got it running fine.

    This morning, decided to change some of the cabling on the drives. Innocent
    enough? Nope, I failed to note that the manual said that the PC had to be
    off AND have the power disconnected or you'd risk damage to same. Yup, I
    was mucking around with IDE cabling while there was still 5V standby
    current going through the board :-(

    Result is that it won't boot. POST indicator sticks on 9.0 (ie ready to
    hand over to BIOS). I've tried resetting the BIOS (all three methods as
    described in the manual), resetting cpu and memory, disconnecting
    everything that isn't essential and it still doesn't even get to POST.

    So, is my mb trash or can it be revived? (eg have I just trashed the BIOS)?
    If it can't be recovered, what are the chances I've trashed the RAM and CPU
    as well (/wrists...:-( )? (At least the hard and optical drives are OK).

    All help gratefully received.

    Yours feeling very stupid,

    Malcolm Street
    Canberra, Australia.

    PS: I'm not a dunce. I've worked with PCs since 1980 (when they were
    microcomputers), work as a sysadmin, have considerable hardware experience
    up to and including minicomputers, and have built my last few PCs myself.
    Moral: no matter how much experience you have, RTFM with special care when
    you're dealing with a new product AND DON'T ASSUME IT WORKS THE SAME AS
    EVERYTHING THAT'S GONE BEFORE!!!

    Malcolm Street, Aug 8, 2004

  2. Malcolm Street

    Hasj Pee Guest

    If you have reset the bios (with the jumper) your board is trashed if it
    doesn't boot anymore after that...

    Kind regards,

    Hasj Pee

    Hasj Pee, Aug 8, 2004

  3. Malcolm Street

    Morgan Guest

    If you have tried everything possible to reset the CMOS - including removing
    the battery and unplugging the PSU for a long period of time, as well as
    place the jumper in the appropriate position to reset it, then it does
    suggest that the BIOS chip could be corrupt. I would doubt that the board is
    FUBAR but I suppose that is what it could mean to you.

    The choice is, as I see it....

    1. Return the board.
    2. Buy a new BIOS chips pre flashed with the latest BIOS and use that to see
    if the board will spring to life. If it does then you can "hotflash" your
    old corrupted BIOS chip to a working state.

    I would remove the board from the case and use only the barest minimum
    needed (placing the board on a non conductive surface, using Anti-Static
    precautions) whilst you are doing that the board doesn't have its battery in
    and hopefully the time period alone should suffice to try it.

    The amount of times that I forget to remove the PSU lead and thus remove or
    add cards, memory etc etc etc with the 5v standby voltage on is
    unbelievable. But it hasn't caused an issue like yours.
    However I have had N-Force 2 boards die on me due to the BIOS chip becoming
    corrupted and the best thing that I did was to buy a spare chip.

    Also I hope that you got the revision 1.1 of that board - Abit had major
    issues with the first revision, including problems with the AGP / PCI lock.

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    Hard drive noisy....
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Malcolm Street

    Geoff Guest

    i'v only done that once, took a pci card out when the power was still on,
    didn't blow anything up, but i was pissed at himself for being so stupid :)

    as to your pc, no idea, it prob is melted, board only prob though, cpu ra
    should be ok i suppose
    *shrug*

    Geoff, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Malcolm Street

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I think you may have overblown the risk. The standby 5 volts doesn't
    go through the ide cables. I would suspect the manual is talking
    about laying a screwdriver (or other shorting device) on top of the
    motherboard while standby 5 volts is on it.

    Be sure to follow the bios reset produces correctly. You should be
    ok.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:08:13 +1000, Malcolm Street

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Aug 8, 2004