    I installed netscape, and no problem using it, but I much prefer
    i.e.

    Much regards Jerry

    j.lef, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Try this:

    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and
    Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318378

    In j.lef <> stated

    Joan F \(MI\), Feb 24, 2004

  3. Edward J. Neth, Feb 24, 2004
  4. j.lef

    j.lef Guest

    Thanks Edward.
    I tried the fix, and unfortunately it didnt solve the
    problem, but suprisingly, it let me access a few sites that I couldnt get
    into before, but still have the major problem.
    The only choice I have when the message comes up is to abort,
    which closes out my browser. Sometimes when I go to a site, it automatically
    closes explorer without even giving me an option. I have never encountered
    this before. I have never installed a spyware program or adware program
    deleter, but I do have pow pop up blocker(from analogx), which is a manual
    blocker only for the things I select. Disabling it, does not fix the
    problem. Do you think this program, which I have been using for about two
    months(its a nice free program by the way) could be the originator of my
    explorer problem?

    Much regards Jerry

    Much regards Jerry

    j.lef, Feb 25, 2004
  5. does winXP still have the system file checker utility? I know this solved a
    similar IE problem in a win98se machine.

    Curtis

    me,myself and moe, Feb 25, 2004
  6. j.lef

    Ben Myers Guest

    Jerry,

    1. Download and use Mozilla 1.6 as your primary browser. Period. It does not
    get messed up. It has a built-in popup blocker.
    2. Downlaod and run Spybot and Ad-Aware, both after obtaining the latest updates
    from their respective web sites.

    IE could have gotten snarled up all on its own, or some spyware, malware, worm,
    or other dastardly-ware could have made the mess.

    I use Mozilla for 99% of my browsing, reverting to IE only to access the
    Microsoft web site and a few other web sites that implement Microsoft's
    corrupted, proprietary and non-standard version of HTML, XML, Java, Perl and
    whatever else is used to make web pages... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 25, 2004
  7. j.lef

    j.lef Guest

    Thanks Ben:
    Just curious. How is mozilla different then Netscape. Mozilla makes
    reference it uses the netscape network as well as powered by gecco just like
    Netscape. Just curious.

    Much regards Jerry

    j.lef, Feb 25, 2004
  8. j.lef

    Ben Myers Guest

    Mozilla is Netscape without whatever has been added to support specifics for
    AOL. It's a curious relationship here. AOL, after buying up Netscape, made it
    open source some time ago, and the open source community has embraced it as its
    own. Somewhere along the way, AOL decided to take a certain build level of
    Mozilla and integrate its special stuff. At least, that's the way I think the
    relationship works. So AOL gets a lot of development work done for free by the
    open source folks, and saves bucks overall for its AOL 9.0 and follow-ons. No
    coincidence here, but the AOL software has become MUCH better behaved and less
    likely to muck up your system. Way back, I absolutely dreaded selling a
    computer to someone who intended to use AOL, because it often meant either a lot
    of telephone tech support or simply taking back the computer to get it working
    right again. I no longer have this dread. Yes, open source software
    development does work, despite Microsoft's loud braying to evangelize against
    it.

    Mozilla is also very much multi-platform, running on all kinds of hardware and
    operating systems... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 26, 2004
  9. j.lef

    j.lef Guest

    AOL. It's a curious relationship here. AOL, after buying up Netscape,
    made it
    as

    Thanks Ben as always for the history lesson. I remember when
    the employees (before aol took them over) at Netscape, had some great perks.
    One of which was they were allowed to bring their dogs to work with them,
    and other such goodies. When aol was taking over they promised all the
    existing work environments would remain unchanged. LOL That lasted about
    two days after aol took over, and then practically released the whole staff
    from what I heard.
    Just a side note. My internet explorer as of today,
    will not even open up anymore. Its gone so sour to get to that stage. I
    tried various fixes, including your suggestions with no help. Would there be
    any repurcussions to the rest of my operating system and programs, if I
    delete explorer thru my control panel, add remove program, and then
    reinstall explorer using my win xp disc? Will it let me do it? Could this
    possible help the situation?
    My spouse has a low tolerance for learning curves on
    the computer.(Even though I do understand this is a small curve) She has
    about four or five programs she uses, but uses them an awfull lot, being a
    teacher. She is still using programs designed for win 3.1 as well as win
    95. :)
    So I would really like to get i.e. back up and working
    for her.

    Much regards as always Jerry

    j.lef, Feb 26, 2004