    You might have an option in System Preferences for this.

    As if there weren't enough problems with Macs already, *experienced* Mac
    users have to add some of their own.

    Priam, Dec 26, 2008

  2. Priam

    Priam Guest

    Gee, this looks like real fun! I believe I'm gonna get myself a good
    brainwash and buy myself a Mac. I mean, they're such value 'cause they're
    so easy to use, no brain at all.

    Priam, Dec 26, 2008

  3. Priam

    Davoud Guest

    An external FW drive, when no programs are running and Activity Monitor
    shows nothing that could possibly be using the drive and it's not a
    Time Machine drive etc etc.

    10.5.6 MB Pro 4 GB 512 MB Vid etc

    Davoud

    Davoud, Dec 26, 2008
  4. I have the same problem. As soon as I mount the drive, it can't be
    ejected; the error messages says that it has files that are in use.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 26, 2008
  5. [GayDeceiver:~] michelle% lsof | grep "/Volumes/Deety"
    [GayDeceiver:~] michelle%

    In other words, no result at all.

    When I try to eject the disk, I get an alert that says 'The disk "Deety"
    is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications and try
    again.'

    Disk Utility can't unmount the volume, nor eject the disk. Verify disk
    says "The Volume Deety appears to be OK." It didn't find any problem
    with permissions either.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 26, 2008
  6. Nope. I can mount the disk, and try to eject it immediately, and I'll
    get that error.
    Firewire 400.
    Dec 26 15:11:16 GayDeceiver
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder[11600]:
    StatusMonitor::volumesChangedCallBack returned -47

    Dec 26 15:11:29: --- last message repeated 61 times ---
    Dec 26 15:11:29 GayDeceiver
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder[11600]:
    StatusMonitor::volumesChangedCallBack returned -47

    Dec 26 15:11:29 GayDeceiver Disk Utility[19146]: Eject of ³LaCie Group
    SA² failed

    Dec 26 15:11:36: --- last message repeated 30 times ---
    Dec 26 15:11:36 GayDeceiver mds[72]:
    (/Volumes/Deety/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/A8B79549-E944-4762-91CF-9
    A297F5346B7)(Error) IndexCI in ContentIndexOpenBulk:Could not open
    /Volumes/Deety/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/A8B79549-E944-4762-91CF-9A
    297F5346B7/live.2.; needs recovery
    Dec 26 15:11:36 GayDeceiver mds[72]:
    (/Volumes/Deety/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/A8B79549-E944-4762-91CF-9
    A297F5346B7)(Error) IndexCI in copyFileOrFd:write failed -
    expected:208841, actual: 0
    Dec 26 15:11:36 GayDeceiver mds[72]:
    (/Volumes/Deety/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/A8B79549-E944-4762-91CF-9
    A297F5346B7)(Error) IndexCI in recoverIndex:recover canceled (0.)
    Dec 26 15:11:36 GayDeceiver
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder[11600]:
    StatusMonitor::volumesChangedCallBack returned -47

    Dec 26 15:11:36 GayDeceiver Disk Utility[19146]: Eject of ³Deety² failed

    Dec 26 15:12:40 GayDeceiver fseventsd[78]: Events arrived for
    /Volumes/Deety after an unmount request! Re-initializing.

    I suspect that the problem has something to do with the Spotlight
    entries.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 26, 2008
  7. I tried rm
    /Volumes/Deety/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/A8B79549-E944-4762-91CF-9A
    297F5346B7

    --> Permission denied

    sudo rm
    /Volumes/Deety/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/A8B79549-E944-4762-91CF-9A
    297F5346B7

    --> rm:
    /Volumes/Deety/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/A8B79549-E944-4762-91CF-9A
    297F5346B7: is a directory

    What next?

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 27, 2008
  8. Priam

    Davoud Guest

    Davoud:
    Michelle Steiner:
    No, that's not the way Macs work. One should be able to click the eject
    button in the Finder sidebar and dismount the associated external drive
    _if_ the drive is not in use, and being mounted does not signify ipso
    facto that it is in use. What I did not say in my OP was that the Mac
    in question has three external FW drives. Two of them dismounted as
    they should and one would not.

    The problem Ms. Steiner and I have described is that it doesn't always
    work, even when it is impossible to find any process that might be
    using the external drive. For me the disk dismounts properly 98% of the
    time. Ms. Steiner mentioned merely mounting the drive and having the
    Mac say it is in use. I have had that happen as well, when in reality
    the drive was not in use. That's the core issue--a bug somewhere.

    For more evidence that my description of normal behavior is the correct
    one, ask yourself why Apple would put an eject/dismount button next to
    an external drive if some file or files on the external drive were by
    definition always in use and the drive could not be dismounted without
    shutting down the computer!

    Davoud

    Davoud, Dec 27, 2008
  9. Do NOT follow that advice. Try launching Disk Utility and unmounting the
    dic from there. If that doesn't work you should shut down your Mac and
    unplug the drive only after your Mac has turned itself off.

    Obviously this is a PITA you don't want to have to repeat all the time,
    so you may want to troubleshoot the problem further. I'd suggest
    starting with a newely created user account and seeing if the problem
    also occurs there. If it does try another Mac or a different install of
    OSX. You might see if the drive's maker has a firmware update (unlikely,
    but possible). Have you installed any third party software that accesses
    the drive or is a system hack?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 27, 2008
  10. Priam

    Priam Guest

    Steiner writes:

    "As soon as I mount the drive, it can't be ejected; the error messages says
    that it has files that are in use."

    If she can mount the CD, it's because it hasn't been automatically mounted.
    Once you mount the CD manually, it won't unmount automatically and it won't
    eject. You have to unmount it before. There is *no way* a CD will eject
    when it is mounted. This is not a problem.

    If the system is set to automount, after you insert the CD, it mounts
    automatically, Finder opens (I suppose: in GNOME, it's called Nautilus) you
    see the content. You press the eject button, the CD unmounts automatically,
    and ejects. In Finder, the content disappears.

    Only if the CD mounts automatically and doesn't unmount automatically on
    eject is there a problem. You then unmount it manually with the umount
    command, and eject.

    Basic Unix. Where's the problem?

    If

    Priam, Dec 27, 2008
  11. Michelle Steiner:
[...]

    Davoud[/QUOTE]

    I'm wondering out loud here so take this as a SWAG. I have 2 external
    FW400 drives on my system (LaCie and OneTouch). Both spin down after
    not being accessed for a while. I don't know if there's a way to tell
    the drive to stay spun up longer--that may be a drive firmware setting
    that only the vendor's software could change. So far, the LaCie and
    Maxtor software haven't given me any access to that setting. The Maxtor
    software seems to be somewhat flakey anyway, so I've ripped it out of my
    system anyway. Sometimes, a File Open dialog will wait quite a while,
    often going to the spinning beach ball, until all the drives are spun up
    and ready. Most annoying. It's either the File Open system call or
    perhaps Default Folder X is doing it but I can't find a way to turn that
    off short of disabling DFX entirely.

    My theory is that perhaps the FW drives are sorta slow to "wake up". If
    they're spun down and you attempt to dismount them, perhaps MacOS X is
    getting confused and dismounting them before they can be spun up and
    their Desktop database is updated.

    Perhaps Davoud and Michelle can try an experiment the next time they see
    this behavior. Try clicking on the drive to open the drive's Desktop to
    the Finder to force it to spin up. Then try dragging the icon to the
    trash or Command-E Ejecting it. Does it work then? This might be a bug
    in the unmount code that's not checking on the state of the drive before
    unmounting it. It's spin state may not even be reported to the driver
    for all I know. It's a pure SWAG, but perhaps you'all can test it.

    Michael Vilain, Dec 27, 2008
  12. Priam

    Davoud Guest

    Michael Vilain:
    Good thinking. Been there, done that. I have one external FW drive on
    the system that is a bit slow to spin up, but it is not the one that
    would not dismount. And that one will dismount now--following a
    restart. That drive has my iTunes Music folder on it, and of course it
    will not eject when iTunes is running, but normally when I quite iTunes
    I can eject it. And that is the case now--I just tried to eject it with
    iTunes running and it correctly said that the disk was in use. I quit
    iTunes and it ejected as it should have.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Dec 27, 2008
  13. Priam

    Wes Groleau Guest

    "In use" is an open file or a dir that is being searched or is an open
    directory. (BTW, this may include a process whose working directory
    appears to be elsewhere but is actually a symlink into
    the drive)

    Basic Unix. However, it's no sin to be wrong. At least you showed
    us you can act like an adult if you try.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 27, 2008
  14. I'm wondering out loud here so take this as a SWAG. I have 2 external
    FW400 drives on my system (LaCie and OneTouch). Both spin down after
    not being accessed for a while. I don't know if there's a way to tell
    the drive to stay spun up longer--that may be a drive firmware setting
    that only the vendor's software could change. So far, the LaCie and
    Maxtor software haven't given me any access to that setting. The Maxtor
    software seems to be somewhat flakey anyway, so I've ripped it out of my
    system anyway.[/QUOTE]
    [snip]

    I've a LaCie d2 quadra hooked up via FW 800 and a Maxtor OneTouch 4 with
    USB 2 only. I run both without their included software and both seem to
    spin down automatically just fine, but I have had no problems getting
    them to spin back up. Though I did have to replace the Maxtor under
    warranty just a few weeks ago.

    IMHO HDs should work just fine without included software and I won't buy
    models like Western Digital's which seem to require their software just
    to be able to spin down when not in use.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 27, 2008
  15. Priam

    Priam Guest

    If you try to eject a mounted filesystem, you may receive a message saying
    that it is in use. So, it all depends on what the message was exactly: was
    it this file or that file or a filesystem?
    My feeling is rather that I'm amongst children with their new shiny toys
    that they don't understand anything to.

    The market value of my computer is, roughly, 10¢. The CD writer will soon be
    14 years old. Still, when I insert a CD, it is read and it then ejects. I
    can see in the mounted filesystem table (/etc/mtab) that a line is added
    when the CD is automatically mounted. I can figure out something.

    It seems to me Mac users, who have so easy to use computers, have a hard
    time figuring out what's happening. I thought that Mac OS X being a Unix
    system, it would have a /etc/mtab file. Well, that was too easy for Mr
    Jobs.

    From what I read, it seems, since version 10.5, OS X uses something like
    Microsoft Active Directory for these setting. Before, it was NetInfo, which
    was borrowed from NextStep.

    Still, in my opinion, whether they're mounted automatically or manually,
    Unix filesystems have to be unmounted before they're put out of use,
    ejected in case of a CD.

    Maybe what is happening here is a problem with the automounter which doesn't
    unmount. How it is called in Mac OS, I have no idea. I believe in Linux,
    it's autofs, but, you know, if there's a problem, there is documentation
    all over the place.

    I find it unacceptable to pay fortunes for computers that sometimes work,
    sometimes don't. And I do believe you've got to be brainwashed badly to say
    that PCs are just piles of junk.

    It is not acting childishly to tell the plain truth.

    Priam, Dec 27, 2008
  16. Priam

    Davoud Guest

    Bzzzzzt! Sorry, wrong answer--again. You are now 0 for n.

    You are a clever dude, though--found your way out of my kill file. Back
    in you go. Click.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Dec 27, 2008
  17. Priam

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I figured it wouldn't last. Good-bye.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 28, 2008
  18. Priam

    Priam Guest

    I'm sorry, Wes. It's quite evident that my 10¢ computer is scrap, it never
    lasted... yet, in it's 8th year. Your $2000 computer is a marvel. Of
    course, mine ejects CDs, it doesn't need extra software to read hidden
    files, amd so on, but this is completely irrelevant. Your Mac is a marvel.

    Now, isn't this kind?

    Priam, Dec 28, 2008
  19. Priam

    Tim Streater Guest

    Which $2k computer is that?
    As does mine.
    Tell me again why I should be interested in these files. And what extra
    software I might need. See, if I were *really* interested in them, it
    might take as long as 20 seconds to find the command I need in Terminal
    to make them visible in the Finder.
    Well, we knew that.

    Your most recent posts indicate you might actually be intelligent, which
    makes it all the more of a mystery why you should frequent a Macintosh
    group as a troll, given that Linux appears to be more in your line.

    Tim Streater, Dec 28, 2008
  20. Priam

    Priam Guest

    I must confess I'm really struck myself by the depth of this analysis. I'll
    have to reflect on it for quite a while before I can get to its deepest
    meaning. :)

    Priam, Dec 28, 2008